YFZ Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original bump stop is old and badly cracked. Is it possible to just replace it with a new one without needing to discharge the nitrogen or messing up my stiffness settings? Is the process for removing the spring and bottom mounting fork fairly straightforward? And what are the dimensions of the original bump stop? I've seen a few different sizes in the aftermarket ones (12.5mm x 40mm, 14mm x 38mm, etc.)

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
You can't usually change the bump stop without a service. If you are smashing it like that it is likely overdue for a service and more than likely not set for your weight and riding style.

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
I have had the bottom come loose and strip out. If I remember correctly the piece can be unscrewed and you will not loose the nitrogen or oil. There is a rod inside the shaft that gets moved up and down to adjust the rebound when the rebound adjustment screw is turned.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nolifesigns I didn't mention that the quad has been sitting for around 5 years and the thing is just dry rotted. I'm doing an overhaul/service on several things and this is just one on the list.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Nolifesigns I didn't mention that the quad has been sitting for around 5 years and the thing is just dry rotted. I'm doing an overhaul/service on several things and this is just one on the list.
I would just leave it be and see how everything else goes. Also, stock shocks were terrible when they were new and I bet the oil inside looks like burnt grill juice after a few years of getting weathered :surprise:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're probably right, and I'd love to replace them. But that's certainly out of my budget at the moment! I don't really race or go airborne too often on it, mainly zipping around dirt roads, so it will probably be fine for now. Just one of those things you want to fix up while it's all torn down.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I seen a few nice aftermarket used shocks for pretty cheap on some facebook groups over the last few weeks. Just keep watching an something should pop up. I would take suspension over any engine mods and it is worth it to even get the stockers revalave to your weight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts