YFZ Central banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the Yamaha's webpage on the GYT-R Kick Strat Kit it states the following:

"NOTE: Removing the battery is not recommended because the ignition may misfire if the radiator fan is activated without the battery connected. If the radiator fan is not needed for your particular racing conditions, then the fan and the battery can be removed to reduce overall weight."

So, my question is what are the "particular racing conditions" that make it acceptable to remove the radiator fan? Has anyone been running without a fan and seen/known/heard of any reliablility issues with removing it?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Originally posted by GOON@Nov 17 2003, 07:08 PM
According to the Yamaha's webpage on the GYT-R Kick Strat Kit it states the following:

"NOTE: Removing the battery is not recommended because the ignition may misfire if the radiator fan is activated without the battery connected. If the radiator fan is not needed for your particular racing conditions, then the fan and the battery can be removed to reduce overall weight."

So, my question is what are the "particular racing conditions" that make it acceptable to remove the radiator fan? Has anyone been running without a fan and seen/known/heard of any reliablility issues with removing it?
yes i am curious to know this as well. i know selector is running with no fan. but he is dunes only. im sure hell chime in.

selector- please let us know all the details you can about running with no fan

thanks

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by norcal450@Nov 18 2003, 02:19 AM
...im sure hell chime in.
Ding!

A few facts:

MX dirtbikes don't have fans
I ride my MX bike just as hard as my quad
I don't stand and idle (for long) on either machine
A fan covered w/ mud i.e. can't move air, is nothing more than a paperweight

You will certainly pee some water out. But if you watch what you're doing it won't be a deadly amount - not even close. I've had to add only a couple ounces when I've need to "top off" my rad. There are ways/tricks to scavenge lost water too.

I honestly don't think it would be an issue in a racing application either. Do Banshees have fans? Do 250Rs have fans? Why would your YFZ need one? It doesn't. They put them on there for the "average comsumer" who's out putting around, etcetera, etcetera.

RidDen the same way as a dirtbike, you don't need a fan. I actually tested my dirtbike versus my quad. I started them one at a time from a cold state and observed each. The dirtbike peed water out about (1) minute before the quad based on my stopwatch. I was pretty confident going into it that there wouldn't be a problem, but there was a little voice inside that questioned it. That voice has been left in the dust.

NOTE: SCREWING W/ YOUR FAN WILL VOID YER WARRANTY!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am running without a fan, and coolant res. And the battery is next to go. I haven't had any problems. Selector has a good point, about banshees and 250r'sa nd bikes. Good comparison... cept yfz are way better :D

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by CODY ANDERSON@Nov 18 2003, 08:14 AM
...cept yfz are way better
That goes without saying.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ok, here's the deal...I've been running without the fan or the overflow bottle from day one. I race motocross mainly, but we have also raced the 12 Hours of ATV America with this identical setup. We have had NO problems with this setup unless we sit still and idle for an extended amount of time. While 2-strokes (like the R or Banshee) can idle for a fair time without overheading, the high compresssion 4-strokes build up more heat than do their 2-stroke cousins. As long as you are smart and don't sit at idle, you will be fine. Ps..the fan will not do a single bit of good if your radiator is packed full of mud anyway!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
this might be a dumb question, i havent looked into it tho, the fan is directly from the battery or is it running from the stator aswell?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by Asher@Nov 18 2003, 10:54 AM
this might be a dumb question, i havent looked into it tho, the fan is directly from the battery or is it running from the stator aswell?
Both? Good question.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by seatec@Nov 18 2003, 10:22 AM
i am pretty sure it runs of the battery
Runs off both like selector said.

I am also gonna be taking mine off along with doing selectors wiring after I get back from Dumont next weekend and installing a kicker.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
where can i find selectors wiring? also is the warning that is being given talking about leaving the fan and removing the battery? will you run into problems while leaving the fan and not running the battery or it just wont work?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by Asher@Nov 18 2003, 03:20 PM
where can i find selectors wiring?
I sent it to admin here, but he has yet to send me a link so I can post it.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
damn him, lol i just finished a search on your name to see if i found it and you seem to know alot about these bikes, not to go off topic but you know anything about spraying them? "nitrous"? if you have aim or icq pm me with the name please

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by Asher@Nov 18 2003, 03:59 PM
...not to go off topic but you know anything about spraying them? "nitrous"?
Just enough to know I don't want to run it. Nitrous isn't practical for the hill(s) I live near in combination w/ what I ride. Shooting the hill on a 500cc shee - that's another story. It's not cheap either. I'm much happier I went w/ methanol.

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/welcome.htm

http://www.boondockers.com/ATVs.html

Edit: I don't mean to sound negative about funny gas. It kicks ass and will make any buggy move, but to run Sand Mountain here in Utah as much as I like to, I'd need several bottles every time out. @ ~$12.00/bottle that get expensive real quick. I can get methanol for just over $2.00/gal and ride a ton on (5) gallons.

Plus w/ funny gas, when you run out, you can't play anymore. :wtf At least not hard.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
All that cost of the N2O is why I am also going with the BOOZE!!!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by Asher+Nov 18 2003, 11:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Asher @ Nov 18 2003, 11:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Pahrump@Nov 18 2003, 09:34 PM
All that cost of the N2O is why I am also going with the BOOZE!!!
?? [/b][/quote]
Well N2O is Nitrous Oxide and Booze is Alky, Methanol.

So the reason that I am going with Methanol instead of just bolting on a Nitrous kit is because of the cost. Nitrous is espensive here like $5 a pound, and I can buy Methanol from the circle track recers for $2-3 a gallon. Plus I can just ride my quad around all the time on the Alky and don't hae to push a button to get the extra power, not do I have to worry about the bottle being empty.

I have ran cars on the street (mustangs) and had nitrous, they were fun, but after I broke down and bought a Vortech Supercharger they were alot more fun having the power right there all the time. No need to keep the bottle warm to keep the pressure up (a problem for the quads in the dunes when its only 40 degrees), and no need to go refill to continue to have fun.

Plus how many times have you raced or been to a street race and someone says I'll only race you if you take your bottle out, but you never hear I'll only race you if you take the belt off your charger.

Bottles are for babies, being blown or sucking down the "BOOZE" is for men :lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts