YFZ Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has softened up the preload on the front shocks from the factory settings and what results did you notice?

ride conditions?
rider weight?
tire pressure?
type of tires?
size of jumps/woops?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I turned mine down quit a bit. I ride XC, 140lbs, 7psi front, 5psi rear, Maxxis razor 6ply, soaks the whoops and fast bumps up alot better. bottoms out a whole lot easier which could probably be fixed by turning the compression up more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have spent quite some time adjusting the YFZ's front and rear shocks. I am 185lbs XC rider, ft tires stock 7 lbs, rear tires 18" Holeshot MXR's 5lbs. After many hours of trial an error I have finally got them perfectly dialed in for aggressive trail riding. I don't do any MXing, so a smooth ride for aggressive trail riding was what I was after with the lowest ride height.

1st... I backed off the spring preload all the way, which lowered my ride height and softened my ride.

2nd... the compression adjustment on the top the shock. I backed the screw off 2 clicks from the hardest position. This makes the internals of the shock work more when your shock is compressing, especially when your spring pre load is backed off for lower ride height.

3rd...The rebound adjustment (screw on the bottom of the shock) controls how quickly the shaft rebounds after being compressed. I found once the screw is backed all the way out...6 clicks in was the sweet spot I was after for my weight and riding style.

I guess if I was racing MX I would set the compression adjustment screw in the hardest position, then start backing off the spring pre load until until it comes close to bottoming out on the hardest landing jump you suspect incountering. This will make the shock internals work more , then the spring preload can be backed off the lower your ride height.

Then runs some hard whoops and find where you are comfortable with how quickly you want your shocks to rebound with your adjustment on the bottom of your shocks.

Ride Hard...Ride Safe...!!!

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
113 Posts
i ride mx weight 200 hieght 6ft
i noticed the way it came it seems to what to "pop up" a little bit off of landings i am hitting it almost perfect but i think i need to slow my rebound up a little anysugesstions

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by slowguy76@Oct 1 2003, 04:40 PM
i ride mx weight 200 hieght 6ft
i noticed the way it came it seems to what to "pop up" a little bit off of landings i am hitting it almost perfect but i think i need to slow my rebound up a little anysugesstions
This problem brings up a great question for adjustments.. sorry I can't answer your questions but rather gain more info to help you resolve it.

If you turn the bottom adjustment to full hard for the rebound does this slow down how fast the shock returns back to full length controlling the force of the spring or just the opposite?

Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm 180 lbs and I ride MX and open desert. I backed my preload all the way off (softest Position) and noticed an awsome difference on the track, Lowered ride height and no bouncing on landings, but i did have to increase my compression a bit in order to stop from bottoming out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I run sand. I turned ecery setting to the softest including preload. Still to stff and I am 240. I am used to long travel zps though.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you turn the bottom adjustment to full hard for the rebound does this slow down how fast the shock returns back to full length controlling the force of the spring or just the opposite?

Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Fast1
mate, turning in slows the rebound down as you thought.

Geoff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts