YFZ Central banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to get the top wing nut loose on my shock to lower the preload. I tried the hammer and flat head screw driver approach, but did not have any luck. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

:stupid

·
Registered
983 Posts
right, mine came loose wiht the first two taps. which way are you trying to move it? Dont mean to offend you but you be surpised how often your brain farts and makes you turn things around.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by seatec@Jan 29 2004, 12:24 PM
right, mine came loose wiht the first two taps. which way are you trying to move it? Dont mean to offend you but you be surpised how often your brain farts and makes you turn things around.
:stupid same here

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Left to loosen. Unless it is upside down and I am hitting it the wrong way. I am on the right side of the bike, if you were sitting on the bike facing forward. I am hitting from that side towards the left. Unless I was riding the short bus, that should be the correct direction. I also had the bike on a stand to take the stress off the shock. Someone had told me that it is easier this way. Not so sure I agree. I'll some D40 and see what happens.

Thanks for the input.

:yfz

·
Registered
983 Posts
you have to hit the upper nut to the right. thats how its loosened.
then you can proceed to hit the lower nut to the left to tighten the spring preload.up.
You are right with the lefty loosy term but you have to look at the assembly from the top.

So do this. Remove the air box and then squat on the left side of the quad. The use a large flat tip and medium hammer and hit the top nut towards the right unil loose. The tighten the lower nut towards the left, The last part is indeed easier when you take the load of the spring. then when you are done tighten the top nut back against the lower nut by tapping the upper nut towards the left. Once the upper nut is tight against the lowev nut i always liek to give the lower nut one tap towards the right as to make an ever tighter lock agianst the top nut.

I know, a lot of nuts in my explanaition but youll get it. good luck and let us know how it went.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Camtuttle-mine was a bear to loosen so I put some WD-40 on it and let it sit for a while and after a few taps it loosened right up. Stand over the lock nut and looking down make sure you are turning it counter-clockwise. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your responses. I managed to get the lock nut loose last night and the bike is sitting low. I managed to get it loose without taking out the air box. Mutch to my suprise. The bike is almost dialed in. What does everyone think about wheel spacers. What are the pros and cons. I put on some billet 1 1/2 wheel spacers on the front and back. This should get me buy until I can afford a real axle and some a-arms.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
983 Posts
Glad you gigured it out Cam. THe only con i can come up with is that you will have a little more bump steer in the front but am not sure. THe experts will elighten you on this .

·
Registered
325 Posts
The quad is lowest when the preload rings are as far up as they can go, right???

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by ZRider@Feb 2 2004, 02:18 AM
The quad is lowest when the preload rings are as far up as they can go, right???
yuh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts