YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets start by saying I officially hate razor 2 rear tires. I have had 2 sets on different rims and could never get my quad to hook. I blamed the shock setup, ride height, too much power (I wish), etc.

First I put the holeshot gncc in 20*10*9 on and rode it around. Mix of packed sand, dirt, and grass. Felt normal, hooked good out of corners, wheelied first-second-third like a champ. Everything I thought mine should be doing!

Switched back to my razor 2 in 20*11*9... spun out over the berm like I was on black ice! Would NOT bring the front end up in the sand, wet grass, dirt well. Just wanted to peel out and rev... almost rolled the wet grass turn... to say the least they slide like im on black ice!!

Im officially done with razor rears, I love the fronts they turn great!

Pics of the two side by side, not sure why there is such a drastic size difference but they are the same size.

Rant end//

Ignore the bowling ball... couldnt find my damn stand!

·
Registered
696 Posts
what pressure are you running? I have always had good luck with mine. Never liked holeshots they never seemed to last as long as rzrs. I ran mine at a pretty low pressure most of the time and hooked great. If I over pressured them they would become a little stiff and make them slick. I think rzrs have a stiffer rubber compound.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Your welcome Chris! Bigger is not always better that's my honest assumption.

Reactions: shaftman_05

·
Registered
592 Posts
I run my Razr's super low in the rear, well, all around really. Like 3.5 - 4 psi in rear. Maybe 5.5 - 7 psi up front. Never near 9-10 psi under any condition/terrain. The lower pressure makes the sidewalls flex some, and seem to grip better. I ride a mix of soft dirt (mx) and hard packed clay (trails), sometimes wetter, mushy clay. I will say after you knock off about 25-35% of the tread, they don't hook up like new on hard packed surfaces, hence the black ice feeling.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run my Razr's super low in the rear, well, all around really. Like 3.5 - 4 psi in rear. Maybe 5.5 - 7 psi up front. Never near 9-10 psi under any condition/terrain. The lower pressure makes the sidewalls flex some, and seem to grip better. I ride a mix of soft dirt (mx) and hard packed clay (trails), sometimes wetter, mushy clay. I will say after you knock off about 25-35% of the tread, they don't hook up like new on hard packed surfaces, hence the black ice feeling.
I had them from new to pictured tread and I've had this issue with both sets I owned. If I still had my o.e. set I would try those for another comparison but those are long gone. 3-4 psi is where I usually ran them. Im also not the only one thats spun out and rolled it so its also not me cgshunter ;)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yeah, that's a bummer. I am about to purchase bead locks, and would like new rubbers as well. Looking for a tire that hooks the best under all conditions. I've read a bazillion reviews, and for as many pros stated, there are also just as many cons...

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to have run paddles, but seems nothing hooks like them...

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, that's a bummer. I am about to purchase bead locks, and would like new rubbers as well. Looking for a tire that hooks the best under all conditions. I've read a bazillion reviews, and for as many pros stated, there are also just as many cons...

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to have run paddles, but seems nothing hooks like them...
This is how i ended up with my second set that was like new. I came across a steal on some hipers cf1 and couldn't resist. But now its time to split them and get my hook back!!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have my gbc xc masters that hook good, granted I don't race, but I have no problem bringing the front end up in sand/loose ground in 1-3rd. They corner great as well for me.
I will look into those. I think the wider lug spacing on the gncc is what helps. The razor2 seems to float for a lack of a better word. Never really squats and goes.

Simply a thought... but ive always pictured softer ply to be more like a wrinkle wall drag slick. They allow the flex to help keep the power to the ground. As razor2 is a 6 ply and hard as a rock

·
Registered
402 Posts
the Razr 2's are a pretty hard compound but do wear good (a buddy has has several sets on his banshee) Those itp's probably grab better because they're softer and have the split knobby design like alot of mx tires do. It would be interesting to groove those razr 2's and see if it helps you out. I'd agree with you, i've never been too impressed with the way my friends banshee hooks up even with very low air pressure.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just ordered the four snow maxxis rears. Saw a guy running them this past weekend and he was hooking up in wet clay and dry, hard packed as well. Seems to be the go to for drag, even over the pro wedge 2's. Also the pro wedges are 16 ounces heavier. Thing is, they aren't true paddles. They were actually designed for snow. They are soft compound, and grow up to 40% taller with speed, so paddle like. Going to look weird none the less riding trails with that pattern, but have yet to find a solid alternative. Still searching for a mx pattern that hooks great. Smh

Reactions: shaftman_05

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder if the 21" gncc will bevy size of the other 20"?
The gncc only comes in 20*10*9 or 21*11*9 so assumption would be that the larger 21 would match the razor.

Odd issue. Ive seen razor2 work on so many builds but not for me. Its like it floats on top instead of grabs in. Only other explanation i had are the lugs are slightly farther apart on the gncc...

·
Registered
858 Posts
Just ordered the four snow maxxis rears. Saw a guy running them this past weekend and he was hooking up in wet clay and dry, hard packed as well. Seems to be the go to for drag, even over the pro wedge 2's. Also the pro wedges are 16 ounces heavier. Thing is, they aren't true paddles. They were actually designed for snow. They are soft compound, and grow up to 40% taller with speed, so paddle like. Going to look weird none the less riding trails with that pattern, but have yet to find a solid alternative. Still searching for a mx pattern that hooks great. Smh
I've used pro wedges for snow and sand, and they have excellent traction on those surfaces, plus, you will get some very tall gearing and top speed when they "grow." I think they suck for trail riding on dirt and hard pack though. They roll over in corners and are very easy to puncture. I've been running maxxis razor cross 18rears and 20 fronts. The fronts are unbeatable, but I don't like the rears. I like old- school turf tamers on the rear. They corner and slide very predictably and hook up awesome on hard pack. For soft loamy dirt you can groove off some knobs and they will work there too.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Ya I'm just a weekend warrior but I still would like The best grip for coal hills and trails but the gncc look like the will be a little too low. The 20" anyway

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.