YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! I currently have a Raptor 660 and i am looking to buy a yfz 450. I would like to know if it is worth switching. i am 6'2" and the raptor seems a bit too tall. I know the 450 has a lower stance and better suspension. What may be some pros and cons of buying a 450 or keeping the 660? any comments will help,
Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have always heard bad things about the 660 i went from a 400 to a 450 and never regretted it performance and handling wise. Two of the major things i have heard about the 660 is that there top heavy and have no handling. The only downside to a 450 is the maintenence, they do require at least a yearly tear down to freshen the top end but hey they are an all out race machine from factory. If possible get some time on a yfz and make your own decision

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Before i bought my yfz i had on 05 raptor 660. That thing was a good bike, but you cant do really jump it, race it, mainly you can just trail ride them. i know a lot of people that have had problems with them.

If you DONT race the yfz you wont have to tare it apart every year. Just change your oil after two rides and you will be good for a long time. I ride and race my 450s never took my R apart yet but im planning on it in the coming months. But remember to check your valves change your oil.

Like fast said if you can get time on a 450 go for it. you wont look back when you do!

·
Registered
898 Posts
I've got both. 05 se raptor and just bought my 08 yfz a month ago. Don't get me wrong, I love the raptor cause its all done up to be like a racer (how I bought it) so its not the tall thing like stock. Its comfy to sit on but its a real stiff ride. Now I bought the yfz cause I wanted to start mx, and I wasn't sure at first but now I've rode it a lot and tracked it, I love the thing. Ya sometimes it would be nice to have the raptors reverse but I get over it. The yfz has more power, way better suspension, and is just lighter. Which for me being 5' 11'' and only 145lbs, the yfz fits me perfectly. Either keep the 660 or get a yfz, you'll be happy either way as long as you don't ride someones yfz or your guna want one hah

·
Registered
226 Posts
450 all the way.. my brother had the 660 and 700. 660 is top heavy, if you want a raptor the 700 is the way to go.. but 450 vs 700 there about even, but the 450 out handles it, hands down

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently got a 2012 450R, buddy just picked up 2013 raptor 700r. I haven't ridden with him yet. We each put our machines on the same dyno,
both have programer, k&N. I have a yosh slip on he has an FMF pipe headers.

700R
50 hp
46 torque

450R
45 hp
36 torque

·
Registered
10 Posts
Should also mention I own an 02 660 raptor. There is NO comparison between the two. My 450 is a significantly better machine....Being ten years newer helps.....The feel of the 450 is alot better.

I have 3 friends who all have 700's I'm the only 450, we're all going to the dunes in two weeks, I'll chime in with my take after that. A little nervous after the dyno results.

·
Registered
226 Posts
When I drag raced my brothers 700. We had the same mods done. And I would get out of the hole every time. And beat him through the first 3 gears but once he shifted into 4 and 5 he pulled even every time. It was like that stock and modded.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got both. 05 se raptor and just bought my 08 yfz a month ago. Don't get me wrong, I love the raptor cause its all done up to be like a racer (how I bought it) so its not the tall thing like stock. Its comfy to sit on but its a real stiff ride. Now I bought the yfz cause I wanted to start mx, and I wasn't sure at first but now I've rode it a lot and tracked it, I love the thing. Ya sometimes it would be nice to have the raptors reverse but I get over it. The yfz has more power, way better suspension, and is just lighter. Which for me being 5' 11'' and only 145lbs, the yfz fits me perfectly. Either keep the 660 or get a yfz, you'll be happy either way as long as you don't ride someones yfz or your guna want one hah
I actually rode a yfz, and just like you said, i want one, i'm getting a trade set up right now, for an 08 the guy is going to trade me straight up, so it ended up being a pretty good deal.
Thanks for your input everybody!

·
Registered
104 Posts
So I actually have both. The 660 is fun to ride in the woods and dunes, but the YFZ is lighter and faster reacting. In the tight woods sections the 660 does just as good as the YFZ, but faster rocky rooted section the YFZ soaks it up better. I think it helps to be over 200 lbs to bully the 660 around too. :bawl Most of the people I woods ride with like the tight technical trails, so basically right now my 660 is my woods quad and the 450 is for the dunes. :disgust:

·
Registered
696 Posts
nope so long as your 08 has a 08 motor too your fine the oil mod was done in 2006 so the 06+ yfzs are already modded

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
For duning and trails what about the 700? 660 vs 450 is definitely no contest, my buddy had a 660 awhile back and I don't think I could ever ride something like that lol. For your type of riding though I think it would be a toss up between the 700 and the yfz. The 700 being alot more comfortable for your size and real easy to make reliable power out of. The YFZ seems real cramped for taller riders unless you get the R

·
Registered
761 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts