YFZ Central banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new YFZ 450 is by far the best production quad we've yet seen come down the ATV product pipeline. It is the lightest (at 350), the best handling, and especially once you "uncork" it, the fastest-acdcelerating high performance quad we have yet riddon. There is little doubt that this will be the most popular machine to hit the race tracks of this country since the legendary 250r
A little preview to the Sept. issue of Dirtwheels. It is a shootout of a pred, ex, and Z. I found this on www.atvaddiction.com

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
quoted from Mickey Dunlap (owner of Four Stroke Tech)

"First of all, on the new Yamaha the angle of the front A-arms is such where you will have to run the first part of your suspension extremely soft for the little bumps which will cause rolling in the corners compared to a Honda or a Gas Gas and even the Suzuki that are laid back farther at an angle that allows the suspension to be stiffer but yet soak up the small bumps. The handlebar to seat relationship felt like I was riding a Breeze instead of a full size machine. The footpegs were very high so I felt scrunched up on the machine. Maybe it's built for people 5 foot and under but I was very uncomfortable on it. Motor-wise, it has little or no flywheel and was very easy to stall on a smooth moto-cross let alone a rocky, rutted out cross-country course. The motor lacked torque and has little or no way of making a big, torqy motor out of it except for maybe an 80 over piston which is only going to make it stall even easier and with the small battery that's not going to be a good thing if you have to start it all the time. I am sure with a higher steering stem and maybe some Pro Pegs that are lowered the machine might feel better but the handling and the motor are going to be a bigger obstacle for cross-country riders. Everyone that has ridden the Gas Gas was very comfortable on it and adapted to it quickly."

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Yeah it is a little compact, but nothing like riding a breeze. I own one, and I'm 6'1 and feel extremely comfortable on it. I talked with Kory Ellis last night(saw him at a race), and he absolutely loves it, and he stands about an inch taller than I. The motor does lack torque, but it revs, and feels like the 250R's so all you guys that love the 250R should think this bike is the "cat's meow" :lol And if you've seen Kory ridde this bike, with just a slip on pipe, you'd wouldn't think that the factory could produce something this good, but they did.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Was Kory racing it last night? If so how did he do and did he have anything else done to since the pics that are in the gallery

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Was Kory racing it last night? If so how did he do and did he have anything else done to since the pics that are in the gallery
Check in the pictures section....He took the overall in the PRO class.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Muff where did you get that quote from? If I quote it I would like to be able to mention the source. I'm suprised he didn't have a single positive thing to say about it in that statement. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but considering everyone else is raving about it you would think he would have at least been able to say "I don't like this but this is good".

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DW never said the Raptor was gonna replace the 250r!! That is saying something!

Do not listen to Mickey Dunlap. He is a Gas Gas rider and the Gas Gas is the YFZ track rival... He races a Gas Gas so of course he is not going to preach about the YFZ because he wants to beat them on a track. He is loyal to GG so it is hard to believe what he said about it. Just read that statement and you can see a lot of it is BS and he is making shit up to make the YFZ sound bad.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
yes it does seem like mickey did downtalk it a little to much, but thats just his opinion on things. i got the quote off exriders, i have it bookmarked on my other computer which i'll post the link to tomorrow

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
i want my Sept issue!!! :D :lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.