YFZ Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my mx setup on my quad and It has been jetted for the gytr pipe by the dealership. I want to do the cam mod but first I want to know what I am getting into before I tear this 10k race quads heart apart.
1.do I need to replace the valve cover gasket?
2. should I use the yz450f cam?
3. do I need to rejet eventhough its already been jetted?
4. Is it worth all the trouble? I mean is the power gain enough to really notice?
5.does it cause excessive stalling in the turns like they already do now?
6.will it take away the stutter from dead idle to wide open?
7.anybody notice any valve floating by doing this? :uhoh

·
Registered
446 Posts
Originally posted by YFZ DEE@Nov 27 2003, 08:26 PM
I just got my mx setup on my quad and It has been jetted for the gytr pipe by the dealership. I want to do the cam mod but first I want to know what I am getting into before I tear this 10k race quads heart apart.
                    1.do I need to replace the valve cover gasket?
                    2. should I use the yz450f cam?
                    3. do I need to rejet eventhough its already been jetted?
                    4. Is it worth all the trouble? I mean is the power gain enough to really notice?
                    5.does it cause excessive stalling in the turns like they already do now?
                    6.will it take away the stutter from dead idle to wide open?
                    7.anybody notice any valve floating by doing this? :uhoh
1. Not if your fairly careful. It's a tough seal.
2. Why? For the decompression mech.? Nah. Mine starts up the same after the mod.
3. No. I might check it though. I ended up right back at the same setting before the mod. Changing jets made it act like it did prior to the mod with each jetting change. It bogged or was slower in the same fashion, with the same changes.
4. Yup. You'll notice it.
5. How so? Mine does not stall. Never did. Raise your idle, pilot or work the clutch more.
6. I didn't check but I doubt it. It really sounds like you're lean off idle.
7. Not me. The cams specs do not change. You only are moving the exhaust event back a bit. There is not additional stress on the valvetrain.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Dee,

If you do it let me know how it turns out. I just got another YFZ (blue) and want to do it to that one. Get ahold of me some time ...I'm going to Majestic this weekend!

Bick

***MCNETT PERFORMANCE***

·
Registered
32 Posts
barely legal hit it on the head. do it, it definetly wont make it slower and if you dont notice anything atleast you can say you did it :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
1. do I need to replace the valve cover gasket? no
2. should I use the yz450f cam? many have
3. do I need to rejet eventhough its already been jetted? no
4. Is it worth all the trouble? I mean is the power gain enough to really notice? yes
5. does it cause excessive stalling in the turns like they already do now? ride/handle a 4-stroke properly and that won't happen
6. will it take away the stutter from dead idle to wide open? :wtf
7. anybody notice any valve floating by doing this? :wtf

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright thanks for all the info guys. and to the learn how to ride a 4 stroke, hah dont make me laugh I have a room full of trophies all on 4 strokes and this is the only one that stalls in the turns I think that bick could back me up on this one. Its due to the lightweight components in the engine not enough rotating motion to keep the motor in power at agressive brake-gas turns. more like to say learn how to ride a 2 stroke cause you have to keep the rpm's up on this to get power out of turns on the mx scene. I'll get ahold of ya bick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts