YFZ Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i read some theory about shocks and there are many things i still don't understand.

- I dont really understand the concept of preload. On my yfz450r (stock shocks), it does not only adjust stiffness but ride height too. I cant adjust stiffness of the shock without changing ride height. I mean, i cant make the spring be, for instance, soft and high. When i make them softer it lowers body height. Does this happen to aftermarket shocks too??

- Also, im confused about long travel.I read that longer shocks dont mean longer travel. Then how am i supposed to know which shocks have more travel? In addition, i got even more confused when i heard it also depended on a-arm's ball joint. And, is it possible to make stock shocks have more travel? And if so, do they reach aftermarket travels?

·
Registered
858 Posts
You don't adjust the springs to change "stiffness". They are used to set your ride height and should be the first adjustment made. Once they are set, you use the compression adjuster to adjust softer or harder. Long travel doesn't mean long travel! Lol! It means longer shock basically. Long travel shocks are longer and easier to tune. They usually mount lower on the a-arm than standard standard travel. The wheel doesn't "travel" up and down any more than with standard travel. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Also, most aftermarket setups will have more travel than stock, especially as you go wider. Oem shocks may be able to be lengthened, I'm not sure, but you would be better off going with new shocks rather than having them lengthened I would think.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm looking to replace left side upper & lower a-arms on a 2006 yfz450se, also one front shock/strut got broken during the incident. Will 2004-2008 parts all fit the 06 in regards to the front suspension, or would both sides need done otherwise?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.