YFZ Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all just made the switch over to the yamahas a few months ago and still researching what works and what doesn't. The current bike I'm racing needs a top end on it. That said I just bought a freshly rebuilt motor that was never ran that I'm disassembling and going over to be my national motor next year. It has a brand new GYTR in it which I am not going to use on my national bike, but my question is will it be fine to run over on my current bike which will become my practice bike after one more race? I'm not worried about making every last drop of power out of it, but in my research it seems these pistons were bad for breaking. Is that still an issue or were they every updated? Would you use it or do I need to just toss this thing in the trash? I'm not tight by no means, but hey I don't like throwing money away either if this thing will get the job done. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No it hasn't been run. It was built and then shelved and the guy got out of yamahas all together. It's not my piston of choice for my race bike and I was taking it out anyway, but if it's a decent piston I'll just run it over in my practice bike that needs a freshening up. I just did some quick research and saw some stuff about breaking at the wristpin, but I believe that was all on the carb motors. Just can't find any solid info about any potential flaws that could cause me a headache later.

·
Registered
864 Posts
if the side skirts arnt scored you can reuse it with new rings and youll be fine

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right that's not exactly what I'm asking. The piston and rings are fine. They're brand new. Motor was assembled, but never started. I have no issues with putting it in the other bike, just asking the question of general quality of the GYTR pistons because I heard of many of the carb bike pistons cracking and failing. Just wanted to make sure none of those issue were common with the F.I. bikes.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I was under the impression the GYTR is a decent piston, it's made by JE. Most people prefer to run a higher compression piston if you have to already run race gas. Something around 13.75:1 or 14:1

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright thanks for the answer. Yeah def not my piston of choice but I already have it and this bike doesn't need every drop of hp. I keep a 55 gal drum of 110 so I run everything I have high comp. Thanks a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.