YFZ Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 15T sprocket from Sidewinder and went to put it on last night and am a little confused. I took the stock sprocket off and compared it to my new one and it's alot different. the stock one has those plastic spacers on both sides and is notched on the back. my new one is just a plain flat sprocket. Also it is quite a bit larger in diameter and i couldn't seem to figure out how to put it on without having to loosen the chain. I have read a bunch of posts on here and just about everyone has said there is plenty of slack in the chain for the new sprocket. I dry fit my new sprocket on the shaft and it was rubbing on the plastic chain guide on the swing arm mount (not the lower roller one but the slab right above it) I need some input here trying to figure out if i even have the right part or if i am just an idiot. thanks y'all :yfz

·
Registered
556 Posts
It's normal not to have the plastic on the sides. The sprocket being larger is exactly why you are installing it. If it were the same size, it would be a 14 tooth. Right?

As far as chain slack, you will have to loosen the chain still and readjust the tension. This is done at the rear hub. It tells you how in the owner's manual under the seat. When people say there is enough slack, they mean you don't have to add a link to the chain to make the sprocket fit.

Mine rubs on the chain guide thing too. Mainly when the bike rolls backward. It hasn't been an issue though. You will also notice that the case saver barely fits. Make sure it isn't rubbing when you tighten it back down.

·
Registered
383 Posts
first, Im new....

the stock front is 14 thooth then?
Whats the rear?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by bowtievega@Feb 27 2004, 05:49 AM
it's alot different.  the stock one has those plastic spacers on both sides and is notched on the back.  my new one is just a plain flat sprocket.
I noticed this also and decided not to install an aftermarket product. When I put the aftermarket on the chain alignment changed because the new 15 tooth did not have the notching on back like the stock 14 tooth. I will only install a Yamaha 15 tooth that is notched like the 14 tooth.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info fellas. I really don't like the idea of putting parts on my bike that don't seem to be as nice as the factory parts. This new sprocket is probably hella strong but if the alignment doesn't seem to work whats the point? I tear it apart again and readjust my chain and see where it ends up. 8)

·
Registered
383 Posts
the alignment deal sounds like a lil washer and some glue to fix it.... or am I missing something? btw whats the stock gears?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know about anybody else, but I'm not rigging a pretty important part of my $7000 plus quad with washers and glue 8|

·
Registered
625 Posts
Stock is 14-38.

Geoff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts