YFZ Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I want to fit 2 yfz's in my truck (6'5"Bed) If I shut the fuel off on the quads, can I tip them up onto the grab bars to transport them. Is there any chance the oil will go somewhere its not supposed to. I see in magazines and stuff all the time that they tip onto the grab bar and take pics and stuff. Just wondering if there is a limit to how long you can leave it like that or any chance of damage! Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
lots of people do that, just make sure you strap them down VERY secure,

i would look into getting a small trailer in the future though, or taking 2 trips...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
i stand one up on the grab bar load the other in normal and leave the tail gate down ive driven 2000 miles each way sevral times this way with out any problems just make sure that the one you stand up has a minimal amount of fuel or it will leak out and ruin your graffics and possibley your seat cover

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (hpfreek @ Feb 28 2009, 10:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=752103
i stand one up on the grab bar load the other in normal and leave the tail gate down ive driven 2000 miles each way sevral times this way with out any problems just make sure that the one you stand up has a minimal amount of fuel or it will leak out and ruin your graffics and possibley your seat cover[/b]
Thats what I was going to do. One up and one down. I measured and it should fit perfectly.
So do you actually drain the fuel out? I thought if you turnned the petcock off it wouldn't drain? or are you talking about the tank cap?

I do have a trailer that fits 3 quads, but I just dont like hauling it if I dont have to. If its easy enough to load2 quads in the back, I would like to do that. It will help a little on gas milage too! Thanks for the input guys.

What actually happens to the oil in the quad when tipped like that?

It doesn't leak out the crankcase breather that goes to the black box does it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've transported one up and one down many times in a short bed full-size GMC. Just be sure to use four straps on the one standing up to properly secure it. Also the YFZ405R does leak with a full tank. Found out the hard way when the leaked gas messed up one of my rear fender stickers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Gas will leak out of the fuel tank breather in the cap if its over half or so. Also I let mine run out of gas before tipping it up or all the gas from the carbs runs back into the air box and cleans all your air filter oil off for you. The note about letting it sit for a few minutes was a good one. Let the oil run back to where it belongs. I've done this a few times, but usually we stand the banshee straight up since it doesn't have any crank case oil to worry about. Also I agree with above on using four straps on the vertical bike.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so I tipped it up in the garage just to see, and I noticed that the coolant res. slowly leaked out the top where that rubber plug goes in. Guess its not the best seal. I will have to try a new rubber plug or use some sort of other seal while transporting it. Good note about the gas thing. How much gas leaks back to the air filter?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (hpfreek @ Feb 28 2009, 10:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=752103
i stand one up on the grab bar load the other in normal and leave the tail gate down ive driven 2000 miles each way sevral times this way with out any problems just make sure that the one you stand up has a minimal amount of fuel or it will leak out and ruin your graffics and possibley your seat cover[/b]
When you stand the one up do you lean it on the cab of the truck a little? I tried it on mine and it sits perfect, but I am not sure how to strap it. Seems like I need a strap going to the front of the truck somewhere?

·
Registered
33 Posts
No the quad should touch the cab. The quad should be resting on the grab bar. You need two tie downs to pull the bike towards the cab and two more tie down to pull the quad towards the tailgate. Pick high mount points on the quad for increased stability. It'll be fine, I've travelled through some pretty rough roads and quad barely moved. But...once my friend forgot his tie downs so we had to share four tie downs between two quads and that didn't end well at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Now I know the motor is not running and pumping oil but there was a topic about riding wheelies for a long period of time and oil filling up the air box. Is there anything to worry about?

·
Registered
28 Posts
If this is something you plan on doing often there are also racks out there that are built to go across the top of the bed for 2 quads. My grandpa and I made a set for his hunting quads, theyre heavy but they are strong. An added bonus with those is you still have the bed space under the racks.

·
Registered
416 Posts
QUOTE (skidooman @ Mar 10 2009, 09:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=756033
If this is something you plan on doing often there are also racks out there that are built to go across the top of the bed for 2 quads. My grandpa and I made a set for his hunting quads, theyre heavy but they are strong. An added bonus with those is you still have the bed space under the racks.[/b]

a nice sheet of 1/2 inch OSB board works to..... drill holes through board then strap your quads through the OSB and to your truck bed (sandwiching) the osb between the quads and truck bed. then you have a dry place to store your other gear. you just need two maybe three people to load the quads depending on what they are.

·
Registered
950 Posts
So for cleaning your bike all you have to do is turn the petcock off and you can rest it on the grabar to clean underneath ?

·
Registered
309 Posts
this is how we haul around 2 yfz's and a 250f in a 2003 chevy 2500HD extended cab regular box

now thats a chevy crammed full of yamaha

not fully strapped down yet, i think we used like 6- 8 straps to ensure nothing would come out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts