YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we took the swing arm off my buds YFZ today and polished it up........not real good.......just good enough till he gets a houser or what ever...........oh,,,and for the first time the bull dog moved faster than the camera could snap the picture..........LMAO

I also did my clutch cover......Yes the reflection of the foot peg and somebody in blue jeans standing 5 feet from the quad can be seen in the cover...so what ya think???

Next is the starter cover,,that will be easy,,,,,,,,,with the main stator case on the starter side being PC'ed orange like the frame, and the crazy plastic timing plugs painted black.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
:O looks sweet

·
Registered
456 Posts
I like it alot! :rock Did you use a polishing kit? How u do it?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by elliptic@Feb 22 2004, 06:09 PM
I like it alot! :rock Did you use a polishing kit? How u do it?
Well i would answer your question in detail..........BUT i have typed all that sooooo many times i just dont want to anymore...........LOL. But its not a polishing kit......

to put it simply,,,,,air powered Dual action sander,,,,,,220,320,500 grit dics,,,,,,,,grinding rolls in varying grits with grinders grease on an air die grinder,,,,,,,3/4hp buffing motor with 10" wheels,,,,,,using tripoli and white rouge compounds,,,,,,,,and about 8 hours :lol

·
Registered
456 Posts
Originally posted by CBW+Feb 22 2004, 06:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CBW @ Feb 22 2004, 06:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--elliptic@Feb 22 2004, 06:09 PM
I like it alot! :rock  Did you use a polishing kit? How u do it?
Well i would answer your question in detail..........BUT i have typed all that sooooo many times i just dont want to anymore...........LOL. But its not a polishing kit......

to put it simply,,,,,air powered Dual action sander,,,,,,220,320,500 grit dics,,,,,,,,grinding rolls in varying grits with grinders grease on an air die grinder,,,,,,,3/4hp buffing motor with 10" wheels,,,,,,using tripoli and white rouge compounds,,,,,,,,and about 8 hours :lol [/b][/quote]
I know what you mean ;) I will :search for it, just as easy

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Originally posted by CBW+Feb 22 2004, 06:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CBW @ Feb 22 2004, 06:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--elliptic@Feb 22 2004, 06:09 PM

to put it simply,,,,,air powered Dual action sander,,,,,,220,320,500 grit dics,,,,,,,,grinding rolls in varying grits with grinders grease on an air die grinder,,,,,,,3/4hp buffing motor with 10" wheels,,,,,,using tripoli and white rouge compounds,,,,,,,,and about 8 hours :lol [/b][/quote]
Copy/Paste from where ever you wrote it up before.

That looks pretty damn cool!!!

Or make a post of the details, that way we can :search for it. :D

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Lookin good man!!!! I'm gunna thorw sum of my stuff on the buffer! :rock

·
Registered
479 Posts
thats sick, nice work

·
Registered
152 Posts
the clutch cover will get dull and ugly!!! it is magnesium it loses the polish.
i did it on my canondale and it looks like s**t. looked bad a** for 5 day then i wish i would have left the paint on. but you can polish it back up easy with "never dull".

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by OffRoadAce+Feb 22 2004, 07:01 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OffRoadAce @ Feb 22 2004, 07:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 22 2004, 06:34 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--elliptic
@Feb 22 2004, 06:09 PM

to put it simply,,,,,air powered Dual action sander,,,,,,220,320,500 grit dics,,,,,,,,grinding rolls in varying grits with grinders grease on an air die grinder,,,,,,,3/4hp buffing motor with 10" wheels,,,,,,using tripoli and white rouge compounds,,,,,,,,and about 8 hours :lol
Copy/Paste from where ever you wrote it up before.

That looks pretty damn cool!!!

Or make a post of the details, that way we can :search for it. :D [/b][/quote]
Well i have never aactually wrote it up on this site before,,,,,just on others

Here is what i do.....

.....what ever you intend to buff (aluminum, mag, stainless, etc) needs to be as smooth, scratch, gouge, or pit free, etc as possible before hitting the wheel.

Hence the use of the DA sander for flat pieces so as not to put any ridges or valleys in the material. Grinding rolls, etc are used for already round hard to reach areas like the edges of the cases,,,,,etc....

All castings need cleaned up......even my clutch case was DA'ed with 500 grit before i buffed it.

Ok so you have everything smooth, then apply the tripoli compound to the sprial sewn wheel and buff the aluminum etc with that until all fine scratches are removed......

Then finish up with a loose flap wheel on the other side of the buffing motor and white rouge for the finishing ,,,,,,or coloring as they call it.

Then i usually clean it all up with a polish called Heavy Metal......the best maintaining polish i have ever seen......

For all prouducts i use go to www.eastwoodcompany.com
They also have a more detailed instruction area for buffing/metal finishing i think.

They dont however have the heavy metal polish,,,,,,,i will have to lookup the site for that......

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by quadjockey440@Feb 22 2004, 07:54 PM
the clutch cover will get dull and ugly!!! it is magnesium it loses the polish.
i did it on my canondale and it looks like s**t. looked bad a** for 5 day then i wish i would have left the paint on. but you can polish it back up easy with "never dull".
Of course it will,,,,,,its a raw metal that is exposed to the atmosphere which in turn causes oxidation,,,,,or tarnish if you want to call it that. Dont ever expect that if you buff something it will look like that for ever. Maintenance is a necessary evil when dealing with these concerns. The alternative is chroming,,,,,,nah id have to pay for that,,,,,,,,or applying clear PC or someting,,,,,,,that takes away from the shine by atleast 40%. Instead i will just maintain it like i have done the polished aluminum on my other quads for the past 8 years..........

Matter of fact this one hasnt been "polished" in about a month ;) Granted its aluminum,,,,but you get the idea.

I will post a pic in a month,,,,,,,and it will have been ridden every weekend in that time frame.....

Besides if it gets too dull.........i have the materials to clean it up..........i didnt spend $500 on the buffing motor for nothing :lol And i have a much better polish to maintain it than neverdull.

·
Registered
456 Posts
thanks for the info CBW :rock , love the orange on your yfz one wicked quad you got :rock

·
Registered
741 Posts
bling bling :rock

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Looks very nice CBW :D

I did mine months ago as you know and it still looks good, I just have to polish it after I wash it, not a problem for me.

And yeah the starter cover is a breeze compared to the clutch cove.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
CBW, looks nice. I like the polished look of the swing arm.

What's the swing arm made from? Cast aluminum? If so could it be polished then anodized?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Originally posted by Amergin@Feb 23 2004, 02:53 PM

What's the swing arm made from? Cast aluminum? If so could it be polished then anodized?
it is cast aluminum

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by Amergin@Feb 23 2004, 02:53 PM

Cast aluminum,,,,,,and,,Yes it could.

And as far as my swing arm goes,,,,,,no way,,,,that was way too much work,mostly because I want to get a round housing for it.....then PC it to match the frame, and put an PRM axle under it :rock .

thanks Pahrump...and of course everybody else... 8)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts