YFZ Central banner

Programmer needed?

9K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  standard81 
#1 ·
Hey guys, If i get a full system will it be bad to run my quad without a programmer? i won't have money for while to get a programmer. I had a kfx450r with a full motoworks and ran it without a programmer. Will the yfz be alright for a little without one?

#5 ·
ANY reputable shop or builder will advise you NOT to run your machine without a programmer, as these machines run lean from the factory. This issue will be even further compounded by an increase in air flow without the compensation of added fuel. Your first mod should be to get a programmer-- not a pipe, if you have to choose between the two.

#6 ·
ANY reputable shop or builder will advise you NOT to run your machine without a programmer, as these machines run lean from the factory. This issue will be even further compounded by an increase in air flow without the compensation of added fuel. Your first mod should be to get a programmer-- not a pipe, if you have to choose between the two.

Couldnt agree more.

#10 ·
Okay so what's you guys opinions on the lexx, fmf or tbr juice box pro programmers? I know there are better owns out there but being a broke college student has me on a budget haha. They all look really similar....lexx being the cheapest and what im leaning towards. Would that one get the job done?

#13 ·
You can run the R or X with a full exhaust and no programmer but it will be very lean and have noticeable holes in your powerband. It is better to leave the airbox lid on if you try this but I don't recommend this because it defeats the whole reason why you add an exhaust, more air/gas flow for more power. I'd recommend a programmer, even a cheap one like Lexx:

Lexx EFI Fuel Controller Yamaha YFZ 450R YFZ 450X - Immortal ATV

#16 ·
As previously stated by pretty much everyone throughout the forum, you shouldn't run it without a programmer. Honestly, even with no modifications, you should still have a programmer and have it tuned, as they run lean from the factory. You might not do any damage if you ride it without the programmer with the system on there, but it's not a risk that I would take.

#18 ·
There are always people selling the Dubach-based controllers on eBay. Usually for around $100 if they´re used. Generally about $160 new. The one that Immortal ATV just listed is $160. Most other ones that are the same kind will be the same price. Good luck. If I see a controller for cheap, I can let you know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.