YFZ Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a white YFZ this Saturday. Sold my Z400 a couple of weeks ago and could not wait. Brought it home and it does not run worth a crap. It will crank over easy enough but won't stay running. Takes me several minutes to get it going. Have to leave the choke at the mid point to keep it running. Finally get it warmed up enough to take around the block and it just fells like hell in the low rpm's. Seems to run much better in the mid RPM's. Have not opened it up all the way yet. Come to a stop and it will back-fire a little and stall. :angry

My first thoughts is bad gas from the dealer. I drained all the fuel out of the tank, set on RES, but some fresh 93 octane gas in, still runs like crap. Tried messing with the idle adjustment and that did not help. If I adjust the idle all the way up, it still runs rough at idle, then when I give it some gas and will idle real fast until I adjust the idle back down and then it will die. The only way it will go is if I keep the RPM's up well over idle.

The bike has a total of 30 minutes on it and is 100% stock.

Any Ideas? Anyone else have these problems? I'm thinking take it back to the dealer Tuesday.

·
Registered
743 Posts
First off :search on how to set it up. They run like crap from the factory. Mine was similar but not quite as bad. Idle screw has to go up 5-8 notches. Rejet, it is too lean. If it is really cold out, as it is over here, I wouldn't even run it anymore until it is jetted properly. Get it right and it will be awsome. :rock

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by VanMyster@Feb 8 2004, 09:39 PM
Have not opened it up all the way yet.
:nono go ride again after you take the baffle out, lid off, rejet, maybe change a plug, and let it warm up.

then next time :search before making your first post something like that when you know nothing about it

·
Registered
264 Posts
Do not take the lid off before you rejet!!!! If it runs better with the choke on do it until you can rejet. You can pull the baffle out, but leave the lid on. Keep the idle up and the clutch will fell like crap until it breaks in and they heat up alittle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts