YFZ Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has the lid off, K&N, exhaust and jetting for motor mods. I am thinking of getting a decent port job done this next week. Is this my best next mod for the money? Are there any downfalls to porting other than having to rejet? Rumor mill says the 13:1 piston kit isn't worth the $. Ignition? I'd appreciate any suggestions and imput. :yfz I like to ride Glamis and pretty much a little of everything.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Porting would be a good mod but for $300-400 bucks you get more bang for the buck I think with the 13:1 piston for $180 or so.

If I were to do it again I would get a piston from Micky Dunlap or Sparks and gat a 14:1 cause either way you have to run race gas and the 14:1 will make more power than the 13:1.

I am gonna get mine ported later but I am having a hard time spending ~$400 for 2-4 HP gain.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But are the HP gains for the 13:1 piston minimal? At least that is what I have heard. Is the 13:1 or 14:1 hard or harder on your top end? By the way I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the cam mod is done.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
The gains from the piston are probably the same as the gains from porting (2-4HP)

So yeah either way the gains are minimal but the piston costs about half as much.

To tell you the truth next time I tear mine down to maybe install a higher comp piston like a 14:1 I will have the head ported at the same time to save labor time for me and only have to buy gaskets once instead of twice.

So I think that if someone wanted the most power they should save the cash until they have the money to do both and then get a piston and a port job.

I would think you would really feel the difference then.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by OutlawEX@Jan 5 2004, 08:11 AM
If you go abover a 12:1 you will definately need to Run Race Fuel. Even with the 12:1 you are pushing it by not running race fuel
You are right about needing race fuel for over 12:1 but you are not pushing it at 12:1 the bikew is 11.9:1 stock and 91 octane is pleanty.

BTW at the 2500ft I am at I can run 100 octane in mine with the 13:1 but at Dumont where it is only 1000ft I have to run 110 or a mix of 60/40 110/100.

·
Registered
631 Posts
that is my downfall about going withthe high comp. piston i don't have any access to race fuel that i know of. the only thing i can get other thanpump gas is av fuel.

andy

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I would no run AV fuel in it at all that fuel is designed to release the oxeygen molecules at very high altitudes, or something like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts