YFZ Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of porting the head myself because I dont know where to get it done and if I would trust them to do it right anyway?Any tips would be appreciated on the procedure.Also if anyone knows who ports in so cal in San Bernardino,Redlands etc,your information would be very helpful.

·
Registered
318 Posts
duncan racing does a good port job

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I have worked on many car engines and even ported a few heads in my time. Ford E7's and Chevy Camel Humps. This head on the YFZ is alluminum and when you are working on it it will be very easy to remove too much material. IF I were to do this myself and I would not, I would just do a "clean up" of the ports.

Don't get into reshaping the posts just take off the bits of casting flash. Smooth the exhaust ports like glass and roughen the intake posts. You may do a little work in the bowl but not too much, you can actually make things worse if you don't know what you are doing.

Deshrouding the valves a little may help with flow but I am not sure I did not really look at mine good while it was off to see if the valves were shrouded or not.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
anyone know if the ports on the yz450f dirtbike are larger? if they are then a gasket from a yz450f might be a good template for you to work from on how much bigger you can go, shouldnt be to much bigger but if they are different it can make a change and shouldnt be to much to remove from the yfz450 head

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by Asher@Dec 8 2003, 11:55 PM
anyone know if the ports on the yz450f dirtbike are larger? if they are then a gasket from a yz450f might be a good template for you to work from on how much bigger you can go, shouldnt be to much bigger but if they are different it can make a change and shouldnt be to much to remove from the yfz450 head
You can't port these heads via gasket matching like a automobile head, the concept is different.

There is no intake gasket or exhaust gasket.

There is one big port that goes into all thre intake valves and both ex. valves go out 1 bit port.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have done a few sets of automobile heads (Chevy, Ford, and Chrysler) big block and small block and all I can say is that when porting aluminum it is very easy to take too much material, exactly as Pahrump said. When I blend the plenum on aluminum intakes and gasket and/or port match the intake ports, I generally use a cartridge roll and work very slowly, checking the material removal very often. You can probably do some good if you know how a port works and flow paths of the air. It was necessary for me to study and research for about 6 months before attempting my first set of heads. I also have a friend who professionally ports cylinder heads and intakes and has a flowbench to check results on. My first set was a set of small block chrysler smog deluxe heads. I was able to make 505hp and 517lb ft on the dyno after my port/polish job on my stroked 360. I invested a mere 100 hours in that set. Every set of heads I do are just a little better than the previous, so it just takes time, patients, and research. If you don't want to do all of this, then send it to a place like Duncan who already has it figured out. Just my 02.

Here is a chamber of a Big Block Chevy head casting 049 that I did.........

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your information,I think I should bring it down to duncan racing only if I knew where there shop was located.Does anyone know where they are?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump@Dec 9 2003, 09:06 AM

You can't port these heads via gasket matching like a automobile head, the concept is different.

There is no intake gasket or exhaust gasket.

There is one big port that goes into all thre intake valves and both ex. valves go out 1 bit port.
pahrump, you are completely correct, i don't know what i was thinking coulda been one of thoes nights where i was just dozeing off, i have done a bunch of automobile heads and when porting came to mind thats what came out

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by quadjockey440@Dec 11 2003, 10:48 PM
trinity racing, look in any dirtweels or atv action for adress.
Don't send it to Trinity unless you don't want to ride again till this time next year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts