YFZ Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a search for previous threads on this (where's Pahrump....), but I'm looking for suggestions on places to get my head ported in the Southern CA area, preferably near LA.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Nils, I can't think of a SoCal place to do the job, but I know that SandTech here in Vegas can do it and do a good job.

I can also have the CDALE mechanic here in Pahrump do the job he done the Guys YFZ's heads and got good results. (They switched from Cdale to YFZ)

Realize that you are not gonna see too much of a gain though. Maybe 2-3HP and 2-5FTLBS.

I done a good "clean-up" of mine the other day. Did some exhaust ort smoothing, a little intake work, and really spent ome time on the valve guides and the blockages they create. I went from the Cdale mechanics, and SandTechs advice on there to port and clean.

Mine seems to maybe pull a little better and I know I had to go up jet size a little. Now this is on gas. I have not ran it on Methanol after the porting as I am waiting on my 2 new needles to get here.

BTW I talked to that fella at Sudco today and he said you made it in there and are gonna try the FCR39 for the Alky now and give up on the TM42 for now?

Later

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Kevin Khorell, he owns a shop called "Custom Creatioins ATV" in Yucaipa, CA (909) 797-1585. He's a Wizard on Porting...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scott,

I have heard of Sandtech before, and if I can't find anything local, I might hit you up for people up in yoru area - great excuse to go to vegas for a weekend! I know there isn't much of a hp gain doing this, but I'm looking for the torque increase.

I was at Sudco getting some jets/needles to try daddog's ethanol deal. At this point I'm trying a little of everything to see what works best for me.

I'm still working with the TM42 and methanol, but I think I've hit the wall as far as testing goes. With the current set up (70p/310m/#3 clip on 95 needle) I have a crappy low, great mid and top range. Unfortunately for the type of riding I do (recreational sand), this is a big problem - when I hit a hill, I bog part way up the hill with the low, then when I get through the low and the power comes on, I end up wheeling up the rest of the hill. If all I did was drag race, I'd be able to live with it the way it is. For what I actually need, it still needs fine tuning.
You've been very helpful getting me in the ballpark and then some, but getting this thing dialed in completely will take some skill beyond what I have right now. Even if I was willing to start from scratch and buy another carb, there is no one out there right now that has a methanol carb kit, that has actually done the testings and can say "here is a carb that's set up, all you have to do is bolt it on." sparks said they wouldn't even look into this for like another year. FTZ hasn't yet, etc., etc.

I'm out of ideas on adjustments, and to be honest I've worked on this so much that I'm frustrated. I'm going to wait until some more info comes out on this and try again later.

Are you using the stock carb, or have you switched to the TM42 yet? If you are using the 42 and have your jetting specs in, let me know and I"ll try them.

I'm going to play with the ethanol (with the stock carb) simply because daddog has supposedly figured out all the jetting already, in addition to the other advantages over gas. I'll play a little and see what happens.

Let me know what's up.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Nils, I hope you get yours going on the methanol. I am running mine on the stock carb and will let you know tommorrow if its dialed in. I feel like its gonna be perfect.

I am not afraid to give you the exact jetting specs.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by Dave@Feb 3 2004, 08:47 AM
Sparks, Duncan, and CT are all in CA.
All the above mentioned have hella long waits...

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Nils, I forgot about Sand Trix try http://www.sand-trix.com that guy is real cool and I think he only charges like $150-200 bucks for a port job.

I talked to him a while back and just never went forward with it. Told me about 2 weeks turn around time. I think he is a member over at BT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts