YFZ Central banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent had my yfz450 long. 2004 but great shape. I dont know but a few of the mods. No air lid, foam filter, HMF full racing exhaust and jet kit. I dont know what the jets are in it but I do have the new ones to rejet if needed. I have a bad pop on deceleration and My header is glowing all the way back. The red anodized is starting to discolor as well. Looks to me as running rich. Havent pulled the plug yet to see. I did replace the header gasket to make sure no leaks. Altitude I have no clue about here. I did make a short video to see it seems to run fine. any ideas and I will give it a try tomorrow. I know where the main jet is but not the other as far as location to get to it. If links to youtube arent allowed please let me know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHNmhlXCrWo

·
Registered
431 Posts
If your headder is glowing as bright as you say it is your running lean not rich. First what elevation are you at? Google the elevation. Second make sure the jets are kehine. Third make sure three is no exhaust leaks in pipe head and midway where the slipon meets the header.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your bike is runninf lean its slways better to run rich than lean... Im betting ur bike needs re jetted bro I WOULD NOT RIDE LIKE THAT AND THERE'S NO TELLING HOW LONG PREVIOUS OWER RODE LIKE THAT YOU caN BURN UP YOU PISTON AND BLOW IT UP... message me if u need help im realy good with cards...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just heard the video but that popping is your bike running lean if you can nor jet a carb yourself id just take ir to a yamaha dealership and have it jetted itll probly only be a 100 bucks but its betyer to do that than top blow it up and could be looking at a lortof bread bro if you scorch that cylinder .... but cards if are dialed in correctly will run great for years but my banshee carbs needed re jetted in winter snd summer slso for elevation changes once I learned to jet both carbs on a banshee I never had a problem again for 2years bro

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GYTR jet kit. 162 and 40 is what I think is in it. this kit has a needle in it with clip but not sure if thats the stock one or not. what jet would you think. 168 and 45? Im not a 4 wheeler mechanic but an auto mechanic all my life as well as an old school drag racers. I dont see a big deal on changing them just not sure what to go with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if your headder is glowing as bright as you say it is your running lean not rich. First what elevation are you at? Google the elevation. Second make sure the jets are kehine. Third make sure three is no exhaust leaks in pipe head and midway where the slipon meets the header.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
went from 160 to 168 and 40 to 45 and seems a lot cooler on my legs. still has the popping so I may be getting air to the exhaust. I cant seem to keep it tight at the head. where it slips together there is no clamp but very tight connection. Had to twist and turn to get it together.

·
Super Moderator
4,532 Posts
went from 160 to 168 and 40 to 45 and seems a lot cooler on my legs. still has the popping so I may be getting air to the exhaust. I cant seem to keep it tight at the head. where it slips together there is no clamp but very tight connection. Had to twist and turn to get it together.
go up to a 48 pilot, at your elevation a 48 should be right on the money. If you still have popping on deceleration after that then you have an air leak either between the carb and the head or at the header where it bolts to the head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it will glow at idle at night regaurdless
ok and im almost certain I have an exhaust leak causing the popping. it has a nut on one side and an alan bolt on the other side to tighten. just checked it 2 days ago and was loose. tightened it again tonight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your bike is runninf lean its slways better to run rich than lean... Im betting ur bike needs re jetted bro I WOULD NOT RIDE LIKE THAT AND THERE'S NO TELLING HOW LONG PREVIOUS OWER RODE LIKE THAT YOU caN BURN UP YOU PISTON AND BLOW IT UP... message me if u need help im realy good with cards...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts