YFZ Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st - thanks for any help!

Did a search and did not come up with a lot. My YFZ is an '06, my mods are new style GYT-R full exhaust, filter, jetting, cam mod. Runs very well. Raced a guy this past Sat, a month ago was beating him easy, this time he was much closer. He told me everything was the same but he got a performance CDI, I don't remember which brand, he said he paid $110 on ebay. He said it really helped him a bunch.

Anyway, are they worth the money? What brand is the best for my type of mods? Is it worth the $$$'s? Where is best to buy?

I found this, any good?
$109.00
Procom Engineering High Performance CDI
Increased rev limit by +1100 RPM
Aggressive advance curve for better acceleration and +HP
Increased Spark Energy
Improved Throttle Response
Easier start-up in most cases
Procom Engineering 90 Day Warranty

·
Registered
950 Posts
Everyone says they're not, apparently exept the guy you raced lol. Hey, try it and see !

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
In my opinion, if it's not one of the programmable ones..........don't waste your money. The others basically just raise the rev limiter and if you're hitting the rev limiter that often, you need to change your gearing instead of the CDI.

Is it possible that the guy just became a better rider since the first time you raced him? Or that he could have done some other mods and just didn't want to tell you?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (gtilley45 @ Feb 11 2009, 03:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=745341
In my opinion, if it's not one of the programmable ones..........don't waste your money. The others basically just raise the rev limiter and if you're hitting the rev limiter that often, you need to change your gearing instead of the CDI.

Is it possible that the guy just became a better rider since the first time you raced him? Or that he could have done some other mods and just didn't want to tell you?[/b]
Thanks! I was thinking the same things, he just raved and raved about it. He jetted too, my guess from the sound it - is the real power maybe came from there.

Any other experience with CDI's out there?

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Dynatek is the only way to go... all the other non programmable units are usually procom... they are problems

·
Registered
116 Posts
All non programable ones are made by procom then private labeled by others i had 2 big gun labled procoms and both suffered the same fate, fried. Luckily i didnt buy the second one. Now i have the gytr which yamaha makes themselves. Havent riddin it yet to tell if i like it or not. The gytr one only has 800 rpm higher instead of the 1100rpm but the yamaha guys said the yfzs like the timing curve that the gytr has. So i hope its worth it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
If his jetting was off bad that probably helped him more than the cdi would.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
QUOTE (adam00 @ Feb 15 2009, 11:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746663
would the procom cdi help my yfz450 if i just wanted raise the rev limiter[/b]
What's the point of only raising the rev limiter? Do you have THAT much trouble hitting the rev limiter?

In my opinion...........if you're hitting the rev limiter, then you need to change your gearing and nothing else.

·
Registered
550 Posts
dude how much more top end do u want???
drop some teeth in the back if u want more top end but ur deffinatly going 2 loose bottom end!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts