YFZ Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I just bought an 2005 YFZ450 from a guy that said it was running fine but needs a battery and carb cleaned. I bought a booster pack so I can try and start it. It cranks and put my hand behind the exhaust and feel low pressure. I can actually keep my hand against the tail pipe and the pressure will not push my hand away. Im assuming it has no or low compression?? It did start once while we were cranking it and ran like shi# and was popping. There is some oil in the air box. Where should I start from here to get this running? I appreciate any help!

BTW I paid him $400 for the quad because it was not running and I assumed the worst. It also has alot of extras..Alba Pro nerf bars, Pro Armor front bumper, Maxxis Razr tires all around, steering damper, extended a arms, and pro taper bars...I thought it was worth to take a chance on it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You won’t get a lot of air out of the pipe due to the decompression lever on cam until it is running.

Yes get the carb pulled and cleaned.
Then go from there.
Sounds like you got a good deal for 400$. A lot of
Good parts. Could always purchase a running stock bike and swap your goodies over then have a spare parts bike or sell of the leftovers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I cleaned the carbs today and I feel like I struck gold. It started right up and I only paid $400. Thanks for the help! I need to go thru the machine now. What should I check? Compression? Etc. Also notice antifreeze would slowly drip out of a weep hole below the water pump. What is that?

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
So I cleaned the carbs today and I feel like I struck gold. It started right up and I only paid $400. Thanks for the help! I need to go thru the machine now. What should I check? Compression? Etc. Also notice antifreeze would slowly drip out of a weep hole below the water pump. What is that?

You’ll need to replace the shaft, bearing, and seal to fix your new issue. Overall, you got a great deal !

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Change the oil. Cut the filter open.
Pull the oil tank. Clean it really well. Pull the strainer.
Do the water pump seals bearing and shaft. OEM only with those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts