YFZ Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, this is my first post, so thank you ahead of time for the responses.

Anyways, I bought a 2004 yfz450 about 4 months ago. I have ridden this quad on two trips so far with no problems however the 3rd trip it gave me some issues.

I unload it from the truck and the the bike wont start just makes a click in the solenoid. no problem, jumped the solenoid for the weekend to start it, ran perfectly fine all weekend.

got home from my trip replaced the battery and the solenoid. Fires right up. however when I hit the gas hard from idle it bogs and backfires and even dies sometimes. if I ease into the throttle it runs good but still not great like it did before.

given the issues with the solenoid I had im not sure if this would contribute to this problem, but im not sure what else could have caused this to come out of no where.

I should also mention that it is bone stock other than a GYTR pipe with stock head pipe.

any help is much appreciated. THANKS!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,135 Posts
Any idea on how it is jetted?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to be honest I have no idea how it is jetted. It was rejetted with the pipe from the guy I bought it from.

Would the jetting be a problem if it was running completely fine up until now?

·
Super Moderator
3,135 Posts
Temp change could be a factor, dirty air filter... Is the lid on or off?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the weekend that gave me problems was hot out and also rainy so it went through quite a bit of mud. I always clean the air filter after every ride so thats clean, and I still have the lid on the air box.

I tried without the air box lid and had the same problem. some people say the symtoms it has could be caused by a bad CDI. anyone think this could be it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heard the zip tie mod works, however like I said I never had any problems with it bogging or backfiring on acceleration until after the last time I went riding. I have considered the zip tie mod but I am reluctant to try it when I never had any issues before.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have heard the zip tie mod works, however like I said I never had any problems with it bogging or backfiring on acceleration until after the last time I went riding. I have considered the zip tie mod but I am reluctant to try it when I never had any issues before.

Really sounds like a clogged jet. If it was running fine, then starts acting up. Especially if you hit a lot of dirt n mud. The tank has a little filter at the bottom but unless you have an inline foyer from the tank to the carb, dirty jets are not uncommon. Could try some sea foam, but if you know anything about carbs, I'd say get some carb cleaner and give it a good cleaning and blow out the jets.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
You need to fully charge the battery, run it all the time with the lights on, change the spark plug.

·
Registered
6 Posts
DO NOT spray Carb cleaner on the top of the Carb where the needle is. It will mess up the gasket by the shaft........ I just did this and it's not fun waiting for a new one

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, this is my first post, so thank you ahead of time for the responses.

Anyways, I bought a 2004 yfz450 about 4 months ago. I have ridden this quad on two trips so far with no problems however the 3rd trip it gave me some issues.

I unload it from the truck and the the bike wont start just makes a click in the solenoid. no problem, jumped the solenoid for the weekend to start it, ran perfectly fine all weekend.

got home from my trip replaced the battery and the solenoid. Fires right up. however when I hit the gas hard from idle it bogs and backfires and even dies sometimes. if I ease into the throttle it runs good but still not great like it did before.

given the issues with the solenoid I had im not sure if this would contribute to this problem, but im not sure what else could have caused this to come out of no where.

I should also mention that it is bone stock other than a GYTR pipe with stock head pipe.

any help is much appreciated. THANKS!!!
Did you ever fix this? I also have a dodgy solenoid and spluttering yes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts