YFZ Central banner

Piston Ring Position

13K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  cmat 
#1 ·
is it ok that the 1st compression ring gap is 120 degrees away from the 2nd compression ring gap??

#8 ·
If it's a custom or aftermarket HC piston, it should have a diagram of how to ring the piston. If not then I would at least follow the diagram that Sidewinder posted.

Your oil rings(the 2 seperated from the oil scraper ring) should not be alingned together.

#13 ·
QUOTE (Sidewinder @ Apr 28 2009, 03:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=774764
i was just read another topic and i saw someone post this:

Most times when this happens the wrist pin breaks in two, or the rod and wrist pin break out of the wrist pin journal on the piston.

Then the next ones I've seen are where the rods breaks in two. The piston is lodged in the jug and the broken end of the rod rotates busting out the cases.

Was this a stock 08 crank and rod? With the 20mm wrist pin.

Back in the day the 20mm pistons used to snap wrist pins out of the piston wrist pin journal and so the WR conversions with the 18mm wrist pins became more popular. 18mm pins leaves more material on the piston to support the wrist pin. Not saying this is a better option... just some history.

It is possible that a wrist pin clip popped out leading to the wrist pin walking to one side before the pin ripped out of the piston journal. In this case you would want to see how the clips were installed and how they were indexed. I leave the wrist pin clip end gap at 6'o-clock, that way the forces applied to it will push the pin to 3 and 9 o-clock thus locking it in place. If the clip end gap is at 3 or 9 then the forces will collapse the clip leading to it popping out.

IMO... CSI it, and let the parts tell the story....

Keep us posted with the pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.