YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at purchasing a 04 yfz race ready. the guy said he replaced the piston three times. i asked why and he said in the manual it said that u should replace the piston every 20 hours is this true? please help

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
The manual does recommend that interval for changing a piston. If he has 60+ hours on it, find out what else he may or may not have replaced. It really depends on how much maintenance he has done on it, and how hard it was ridden. Look at things like chain and sprocket wear, loose bolts, leaks, burning oil, leaking valve seals, frame cracks, suspension wear, etc......

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just heard they should be replaced every 15-20 hours also...so is it true? I trail ride, some wide open, and a few hill climbs, so should I be dropping $100 (right?) every 20 hours?

...hopefully this is in my manaul, I don't remember seeing a sticky for this on here. :icon_eek:

·
Registered
453 Posts
QUOTE (07HOOLIGAN @ Feb 9 2009, 02:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=744121
I just heard they should be replaced every 15-20 hours also...so is it true? I trail ride, some wide open, and a few hill climbs, so should I be dropping $100 (right?) every 20 hours?

...hopefully this is in my manaul, I don't remember seeing a sticky for this on here. :icon_eek:[/b]

..anyone know if the piston and rings are supposed to be replaced after 20 hours?

·
Registered
550 Posts
dude my 05's piston and rings have never even seen the light of the outside world!!!!
and i ride it like i stole it.
if ur very precautions and conservative then knock urself out!!

husker knows his stuff dude!
but just do a basic assesment on ur bike then figure out if its worth the money.
a wiesco will run u $200

im actually thinking about changing pistons know because i wana go hi-comp.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
the manual says nothing of replacing the piston after 20 hrs or any hrs for that matter regauarding piston replacment if it where so important the unit would have some sort of hour meter.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
QUOTE (2fast4uracingxc @ Feb 11 2009, 10:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=745245
the manual says nothing of replacing the piston after 20 hrs or any hrs for that matter regauarding piston replacment if it where so important the unit would have some sort of hour meter.[/b]
The SERVICE manual does say that you should replace the piston every 20 hrs.

Actually all the high performance single cyl. bike/quad motors say about the same thing.

GYTR does have an hour meter for the yfz.

·
Registered
453 Posts
QUOTE (cubanaso @ Feb 11 2009, 01:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=745239
dude my 05's piston and rings have never even seen the light of the outside world!!!!
and i ride it like i stole it.[/b]
dude, our sh!t is gonna seize up! ha ha Mine hasn't seen the light either, but it's only an 07.

So if I ride for two straight long days my pistons and rings need replaced?! Does anyone have reccomendations on how often I should change them for general riding, not racing? ..or how to tell if they need replaced before any serious damage is done?

·
Registered
657 Posts
RUN IT!!! mines a 04.. never been broken into.. it has been ridden hard since 04.. ive raced mx with this last season and 2 weekends ago i won ice races with this quad... quit worrying so much.. run it

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
recommend break in for the motor is 20 hours, so how are you supposed to change pistons? Then you have to break it in some more lol?

I know nothing about this so I'm just speaking my thoughts

·
Registered
550 Posts
idk know but it looks like the verdict is............... RUN THAT SH*T!!!!!!!! :icon_bolt:
bro when i get into my motor ill let u boy know how my piston looks
but as of last weekend i ran some ported, shaved head shee's with CPI's and gave them an *ss kicking on the 1/8 mile drag.
i dont see any sign of deterioration perfomance wise on my motor.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Cool, I'm just gonna keep running the p!ss out of it then.

I heard this and thought WTF?!?! I thought maybe it was just one of those things you were supposed to do but no one really talks about because it's common sense, like changing your oil.

...just in case anyone DOES have any adverse effects from NOT doing this, please let me know so I can change mine before I smoke the engine. :shocker:

..I didn't see it in the service manual after checking, all it showed was how to do it, nothing about intervals. Maybe someone else can locate it if it is indeed in there somwhere.

·
Registered
416 Posts
lucky bastards..... my '05 is getting ready for its second rebuild.... :strokin:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
QUOTE (michigan 450 @ Feb 12 2009, 09:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=745653
lucky bastards..... my '05 is getting ready for its second rebuild.... :strokin:[/b]

haha I had an old 04 yfz with god knows how many hours on it my guess would be 250+ and my piston along with the rest of my motor never saw the light of day. I ran it on 87 or 89 octane and I ran the piss out of it. It never showed signs of giving out. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
140 Posts
According to my trailtech computer, which was installed on my 07 after about 10 hours of initial use, I have logged 115 hours and 44 minutes. about 80 minutes of that is full throttle flattrack racing. Its very easy to add up this many hours when you live on property and have access to a riding area 24/7 just by opening your garage door. :icon_biggrin:

My yfz does not smoke or show any other signs of old age yet. She still runs very strong. Just keep up with good quality oil changes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too don't agree with changing the piston after 20 hours, but I think you need to replace the rings on a somewhat regular basis. I put a GYTR 13.1 piston in my '04 when it was still nearly new, (December '03) and ran it till if finally gave up the ghost this past summer. i think that piston was made by JE, and it was a tough piston. Replacing rings regularly is realativley cheap, (about 60 bucks) and assures you a good seal. It also gives you a chance to check out all the goodies inside.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts