YFZ Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pls bare with me here... i'm new to the world of quads...
when refered to "pipes"... do you mean just the headers or full exhaust system?
if it is just the header pipe... then how does it improve the scavanging of the exhaust when they all appear to be the same??? (except for the materials used and FMF has one that has a boldge in the middle)

i'm on the fence about which one i want to get... and if i should start with a slip-on and then followed by a header later on :re ...

anyway, pls enlighten me on the theory behind all of the madness and if possible, some dyno charts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
"pipe" would be a loose term for exhaust. People use it to refer to either the slip on silencer or the whole silencer/header pipe combo. If you have the money, go ahead and get the whole exhaust system(silencer/header pipe). If you are on a budget get the silencer and add the head pipe later. Your not going to see any benefit from adding just the header pipe cause most of the exhoust restriction comes from the silencer. As far as which to get, they are all about the same, maybe 1-2 HP difference in most of the better brands. The main difference will be where the most HP gain is on the power curve. Yuo will most likely want to make your decision based on that. Some "pipes" like HMF have a better HP gain in the low/mid range. Others like SParks have it in the mid/upper range. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by speedjunky@Nov 6 2003, 04:46 PM
...madness...
You stated it yourself, you're now an expert.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts