YFZ Central banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
i just installed my EZ PEP arm on my XC quad and it feels sooooo much better!!! both my MX and XC have the same cables and pro taper clutch lever and i did one quad at a time and you could feel the difference! i had ppl who knew nothing about quads sit and pull the levers and they felt a difference! def a must have, then i did the other and i couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got a ride in today. All I can say is, YES.
If you haven't ordered one you need to. I can't wait to get an aftermarket lever. But with the stock perch it's a huge improvement.
Anyone who rides for more then an hour at a time needs one of these.
There is no way around it. This 26 dollar part will help you tremendously.
It really is one of the cheapest upgrades you can do and get so much out of it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hello Sheerider11,

That clutch arm looks very nice. 1 question in your instructions, you mention

"A note- turn the actuator by hand till it stops. Then put the arm on."

What direction are you turning it? Clockwise or counter clockwise?

How did you turn it?

Thank you,
jody

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hello Sheerider11,

That clutch arm looks very nice. 1 question in your instructions, you mention

"A note- turn the actuator by hand till it stops. Then put the arm on."

What direction are you turning it? Clockwise or counter clockwise?

How did you turn it?

Thank you,
jody
Good question, I should be more clear.
I turned it back towards the way it is pulled. So when you release the clutch cable, it snaps towards the chain. So you push it back to the original position. Once you do you can set the arm on and then find the correct position.
But if you leave that "free play" you'll never get that adjusted out.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thank you Sheerider11 that makes sense. I just ordered one of these it seems like a pretty nice upgrade for very little money

·
Registered
211 Posts
just took both the mx and xc bike out for few hole shots on the yard and so much nicer! just a little cable adj and well worth the money spent!

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
just took both the mx and xc bike out for few hole shots on the yard and so much nicer! just a little cable adj and well worth the money spent!
This weekend I was in fairly tight trails.
It was SO nice to be able to fully disengage the clutch with 1 finger.
I could come in hard on the rear and not beat the clutch to death over powering it while still on the rear. A little pressure on the lever gave me just enough slip to still move and rev as needed. Also slip the clutch to whip the bike around to with ease.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i got one on my 08 after i installed stiffer clutch springs, and it made a big difference. I bet this on my 16 with the slipper cluth would require any effort at all to pull it in.

·
Registered
535 Posts
so im just thinking with removing the spring is that what made the other harder to pull? if we just pull the spring out would it not be the same thing as installing the pep part? Are we sure we don't need the spring and if not why is it on the bike stock? if its a dumb question and im missing something please call me out lol

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
so im just thinking with removing the spring is that what made the other harder to pull? if we just pull the spring out would it not be the same thing as installing the pep part? Are we sure we don't need the spring and if not why is it on the bike stock? if its a dumb question and im missing something please call me out lol
Not a dumb question.
The spring I'm sure added a little, but the help comes from the length. It's just the leverage on the arm.
The spring is a very light weight spring.

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
Seems no one has mentioned the down side of these, so I will. These arms do not open up the clutch as far so your clutch adjustment has to be perfect. Also an issue depending what levers you run or how much they are bent. This can also reduce the amount of cable pull. If not the plates drag and wear out faster.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Seems no one has mentioned the down side of these, so I will. These arms do not open up the clutch as far so your clutch adjustment has to be perfect. Also an issue depending what levers you run or how much they are bent. This can also reduce the amount of cable pull. If not the plates drag and wear out faster.
I have zero creep on my bike. I think as long as you set it correct you shouldn't have an issue.

·
Registered
211 Posts
took the XC bike out for rip in the woods and the stream, felt strong the whole way didn't feel any clutch fade or burnt clutch smell! (friend has bad luck with tusk clutch disc/plates) but i always use factory clutch, i don't see how it wouldn't disengage the clutch fully or whatever, the arm is at full rest when putting it on and seems to have the same amount of pull

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hello Sheerider11,

I am just curious if you have had any issues since you installed this pep clutch arm? Are there any negative issues with removing the slack that the stock clutch arm has, (the slack that the stock clutch arm spring adds to the clutch)?

Does the clutch fully disengage if you remove the clutch arm spring and rotate forward to remove extra slack?

Will this mod work with the 14+ slipper clutch?

Thank you,
jody

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hello Sheerider11,

I am just curious if you have had any issues since you installed this pep clutch arm? Are there any negative issues with removing the slack that the stock clutch arm has, (the slack that the stock clutch arm spring adds to the clutch)?

Does the clutch fully disengage if you remove the clutch arm spring and rotate forward to remove extra slack?

Thank you,
jody

I have a feeling you can adjust these to have the minimal amount of play so that you aren't riding the clutch, and everything works together. Probably works like the stunt style clutch levers where you have to be a little more mindful of your adjustments. However, it's just speculation, but in about a week or so I'll be able give you some first hand experience when mine comes in.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hello Sheerider11,

Thank you,
jody
Thing is perfect.
As long as you remove the slack and set free play you'll be good.
There are a ton of people running them with no issue

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hello phillybuilt,

Thank you, let me know how that turns out on your machine. I was thinking about ordering one of those pep arm myself.

Thank you,
jody
I'll tell you what, this thing was great for the money IMO. I have bad nerve damage in my hands from chemo and having "soft" controls (for lack of a better term) is essential in order for me to even ride in the first place. I had a Banshee, I absolutely LOVED it, but the throttle effort from having two carburetors killed it for me.

All my other bikes, quads, etc I use an RSC clutch lever, which are beautiful billet EZ pull stunt clutch levers. I love them, they are lifetime warrantied whether you crash it or it has a defect, and frankly it's been the only way for me to ride as heavy clutch levers just plain hurt. They are all easy enough to have one finger operation. I will probably go that route with the YFZ eventually, but for now the PEP is doing great.

As sheerider stated above, you must make sure your clutch adjustment is correct, but for the less than $30 it cost, and the 5 minutes of your life to install it, you can't go wrong. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hello Phillybuilt,

Wow that is very cool. I am sold. I am just curious how u adjusted your clutch, do u mean you left a little end play to make sure the clutch is fully engaged?

Thank you,
jody

21 - 40 of 57 Posts