YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Came packaged really nice. 3 individual spaces.

The directions left a lot to be desired. But I have it under it all under control. I'm a pro.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started by pulling the cable out of the perch. Easiest way and I have the most slack.

Next I just kind of pushed the harness out of my way.

Cable pops right out.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a few circlip removers. These ones were perfect. Always the right tool for the job. My father drilled that into my head.

Right off

Washer next

Then the actuator it's self.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now this is where better directions come into play.
It made no mention whether or not to reuse the spring. The pic doesn't have one. But that's not a R in there picture.
So I didn't use it. I saw other people didn't as well.

Put the cable in first

I also had to take off the chain guide. Do that prior to all this if you want. You probably don't have to, but my first adjustment it hit.

Slide it on. Takes a bit, I spread it with a flat screwdriver and it went on easier

I got pretty lucky. My first try I got it perfect. A note- turn the actuator by hand till it stops. Then put the arm on. There isn't enough pull to get all that. Then you can back it off. But my cable had enough free play it was correct.

Spare parts left over

All done and works perfect

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice review and awesome pictures!
Thanks.
As usual, I can't give a complete review until I ride it.
But the initial ride and adjustment up and down the road it felt nice. A slip of the clutch with a easy pull of 1 finger and the bike wheelies right up. So with a slight pull off 1 finger I can fully disengage the clutch.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now you know what the slipper clutch feels like in the 14+ models feel like!
Well I've been eyeing up a slipper clutch assembly.
apparently this will bolt on my bike and I'll have a slipper clutch like your bike.
One day I'll get one.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I've notice on my 16 that sometimes I hit neutral when coming from first to second and makes me feel like a amature even though I've been riding for 20+ years anyone else have that problem?ive only rode it maybe 5 times

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've notice on my 16 that sometimes I hit neutral when coming from first to second and makes me feel like a amature even though I've been riding for 20+ years anyone else have that problem?ive only rode it maybe 5 times
Do you have riding boots or keep your toe under the shifter?

·
Registered
89 Posts
really interested on how much easier u feel it makes it sheerider? I was thinking this or a hydro(one day)....

as for slipper clutch.... I not sure if they are the same as on roadbikes but i paid through the a... for a slipper clutch on my CBRthou rr back in 2007 and I hated it! Still hate it... Same effect in learning GOOD clutch control! Yes if you haven't got good clutch control, get one but I hate little things it does as a by product like, you can NOT bump start your bike if you get a flat battery with a slipper clutch... Also I truely believe, I can control my clutch alot better than the slipper clutch on my blade. With my left hand i can make it so my rear tyre NEVER locks up on hard down shifting(decel). yet when I push really hard and rely solely on the slipper, it can and will lock up for milliseconds(not sure if my skinny ar... has an effect making it not work too good cause im so light)....
Long story short, learn clutch control and no need for slipper.... my 2cents

·
Registered
89 Posts
when i pushing really hard (on decel) it sort off skips the rear tyre sometimes, sort off like abs(at its limit) in reverse and u can feel a nervous chatter sort off thing as the slipper is trying to work. Hence I rather just do it manually with my left hand and use the clutch and control the slip manually... on the plus side I believe it makes you a better rider and u can bump start your bike without a slipper clutch too!

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't run a hydro. Cable is easy and straight forward.
I was looking for my fish scale. The scale has a hook and you just hold it. Also works as a pull gauge. Couldn't find it.
Anyway, immediately I felt the difference. Extremely noticeable.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want the slipper to try out. Tired of coming into turns hard in the rear and stalling the bike. It's also extremely hard on the clutch. The
Slipper on my street bike is nice, I can down shift late into a turn and I get no chatter. So I come into the turn quicker and harder.
Now am I a pro that needs these things? No.
But it's always nice to have.
On the quad the chatter isn't noticeable, but coming in hot and slamming on the rear will stall the bike, then I need to let out the clutch early to pop the bike. Sometimes it'll be to soon and I won't take the turn right.
But who knows, I just ride like an idiot and barely manage control

·
Super Moderator
3,975 Posts
Excellent write up sheerider11!

All I know is the slipper works well on steep granite hills where a standard clutch can cause you to slide after a down shift.

The only reason you would have to bump start a R is if you didn't maintain it properly and if your having battery problems it's not going to start anyways..

The slipper shines on clutch pull and braking while going over rough terrain such as whoops. I don't think I have heard any complaints on the new clutch since it's release.....I'm sure there are some but not many.....Yamaha did a good job with the 14+ clutch.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome write up! i literally just ordered 2 of these after reading this!
Awesome I don't think you'll be dissapointed!!
I feel like there really is no downfall of this product. And if you really don't like it, just swap it back. Someone will buy it.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Going to get a ride in tomorrow.
Hopefully this will prove it's self.
But from just sitting here it feels like it. I think it's a great purchase.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts