YFZ Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to hijack anybodys thread so I'm starting this one on paddle tires. I want to know what would be the best paddle tire for an 06 yfz cam mod intake and +4 swingarm. My buddy has this setup and runs 20" 10 paddle extremes and loves them for drag racing and treeshots and whatever. He weighs 160? I weigh 180ish. I was planning on these tires myself but have been reading on here that people recommend 7 and 8 paddles? Is 7 and 8 better for stock swingarm 200+ lb. riders? What really throws me off on these 7 and 8 paddles is that I currently have a kfx400 with 8 and 9 paddle haulers and kfx400 power turns them over pretty well, I would imagine 10 paddles would be best on a yfz for me?

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's all on sand and power. All the guys running 6 or 7 tend to be west coast guys. I don't recall what misstify or terse run over in the central. But at Jerico or St. Annes I run 8 or more. I'm not gonna lie 10's are A LOT for just a cam mod and intake. I run tens and love them but have a little more than you. Swing Arm to me doesn't matter. I just got a new set of 9's that I still need to try. I think they will be my favorites. More hook than eights but more duneable then 10's :icon_cool:. But I would say 10's would be a little much. However, it's all preference anyway.

·
Registered
260 Posts
7 or 8's, takes less power and time to get them turning then the 10's, and 7 and 8's are more for horsepower and 10's are more for speed and really suped drag quads, i'd go with the 7 or 8's for what quad you have..they do me just fine! 21-11-9 7 paddle extremes..

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ive been running 8 paddle haulers for a very long time....plenty of traction at low air pressures. Unless all you care about is shooting hills, then maybe look at more...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read http://yfz450.theatvchannel.com/invision/i...3&hl=paddle Still not convinced either way. My friend is actually running 22" 10 paddle extremes and loves them for the type of riding we do. We do the crazy treeshots most of the time and that's where I will really need the correct paddle tire. We ride oregon dunes which have some steep treeshots with roots and stuff that require a somewhat tough tire. I think the triple buffs ultralight gliders whatever may be for simple drag racing on a clear strip only. Also we're lighter guys under 200 lbs with +4 swingarms if this makes much difference?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well I know pbssandman rides the Oregon and I believe he has quite a bit of motor work and is still running eights. Run what you want. You started this thread to have people convince you to go with a lower paddle?? Weird. It's your quad bro, run 10s what the hell, why not. I'm just saying 10's on a practically stock motor is a lot to turn. Yes I run tens but they are triple buff and I have more go fast stuff then you. It's all preference. If you enjoy riding your buddies quad with tens then get tens

·
Registered
260 Posts
fullertonsandsports.com, this guy will hook you up, tell him what bike you have and whats done to it and what kinda ridin you like to do.... trust me

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yzjorge- you say swingarm to you doesn't matter when it comes to tire selection? Wouldn't a longer swingarm mean more traction? This seems to me like that would play a pretty big role in choosing the right tire.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
AMS Aerospeeds, mine are sweet. Come in 8 or 10 paddle, i got the eight and there perfect for everything.

can post pics if you want

·
Registered
193 Posts
In had no idea that the mathematical degree of an extended swingarm created more down force than a stocker.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I can make every Tree shoot at the Oregon dunes with a 6 paddle hauler, and so can T-wheat. However we both prefer an 8 paddle. Extreme paddles are over rated imo, and double and tripple buffs will not hold up well on some of the knarlier tree climbs around here. Your buddies 22"s are a good choice, but T-wheat and I prefer a 21" because they are a little more "dunable." What is your rim selection? Your rim selection can also inform how many paddles you run as well. A very light rim will allow your wheels to turn fast and have better response and allow another paddle without it making your quad feel sluggish like it would with a heavier rim. Oh and T-wheat and I have WR motors pulling mid 50s on most dynos and stock swingers, to give you an idea of relative power to swinger to tire selection.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thankyou very much Oregon450Duner, this is the kind of information I'm looking for. And yes yzjorge different length swingarms do factor into the mathematics of traction. I talked to some guys at work today that have extended swingers and they say you actually lose traction because your body weight is further away from the tires.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anybody run bead to bead buffed haulers, ultralights i think? Just wondering how durable these are because they note that there is no warranty on these tires lol. good idea/bad idea for all around dune riding?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Hey man I'm a winchester bay guy. I've hit every hill shoot with my 22x11x10 8 paddle extreme haulers. I've done everyone out there no problem with them. Both tot he left of banshee and the one you back down way off to the right, all the lake climbs, and I'm the guy who cut the one down the back side of the hill right before the lake climbs. 10's will make you just walk up them if you can keep the front end down.

The double buff haulers should hold up fine

·
Banned
1,072 Posts
i run skat track 20x10x10 9 extremes they are by far the best paddles ive ever rode they do it all speed and hills perfection :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
803 Posts
21/12/8 8 Paddle Extremes,,,,

and i love EM

1 - 18 of 18 Posts