YFZ Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like the YFZ is out of commision for a while :bawl . Shorted a double yesterday and landed between the front and rear tires. Best I can figure some evil little demon of a rock was in just the right place to push into the belly skid and crack the right side case - talk about bad luck! Bad timing too because I'm sure the skid I've got on order would have prevented this. It wasn't all that hard of a hit either, the swingarm actually soaked up some of it. Anyway, the crack is at the very bottom of the case, its about 1.5 in. long and pushed in about 2 mm. It runs right up to the seem between the cases, but the left side case is undamaged. Went to the dealer today and was told the cases come in a matched set at $300/ea. New gaskets and seals are about $100, plus another $300-$400 in labor and we're tallking $1000+:O!!! And of course there's no way this can be covered under warranty. I'd like to save some $ by doing the wrenching myself, but I've never delved this far into the case of a bike engine before. Don't have the $ for any of it right now anyway after the $ I just dropped on my snowmachines.

The dealer's service manager is a cool guy and seemed pretty sympathetic. He took a good look to see if welding woud work, but said it would be impossible to match the cases up right because the crack runs right to the seem. I was thinking about welding the crack as is without disassembly, which would mean welding the cases togehter at the crack as well. Anyone think this would work? Are the internal tollerances at the bottom of the case too tight for the 2mm its pushed in on the right side? This would be a temporary fix of course until I can come up with the $ for new parts. Prolly a bad idea I know, but I'm desperate at this point. On that note, anyone know where I might find a cheaper price on all the parts? Any suggestions or help here would be greatly appreciated.

This sucks, of all the things to break it had to be the case :angry - mucho $$$$$. Don't know what I'm gonna do without my YFZ fix.

·
Registered
634 Posts
i would try welding the case, then use yamaha gasket liquid to match the seem irregularity, if it DOESNT WORK (and I done know why not) then you can do the expensive fix.

P>S> put NITROUGEN GAS or CO2 at moderate flow in the crank case so it dont blow up when you weld it.

you could be running tomorrow.

·
Registered
212 Posts
J B weld!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
DO NOT try to weld the case unless you take motor apart and clean out the oil..... welding the aluminum will creat a lot of heat..... it will suck the oil in the motor right out into the weld causing it to not bond with the metal and you will have nothing but problems!

give us an email about the parts you need....
[email protected]
we should be able to help you out.

also if you want us to do the work for you too i can hook you up there.... youd just have to send us your motor.....
good luck

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by wood4you@Oct 19 2003, 11:09 AM
J B weld!!!!
10-4 good buddy

·
Registered
500 Posts
John,
Give me a call and we can hook up and take a look at the damage...no offense, but if your dealer is Anchorage Yamaha...I have been less than impressed with the parts department workers.....don't get me started..... :re JIM

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
using J&B Weld on properly prepared parts is amazing..

file it ,, sand it ,, heat it up .. it still holds..

I used it on a lawn mower engine once that put a rod through the case.. patched it up with J&B Weld, replaced the rod..and everything was running like new.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I heard the story of a farmer using it on a leaking TRACTOR crankcase to finish harvest and it was still holding, so why fix it?

That is worth a trydrill a few 1/16 holes 1/8 inch deep on ech side of the crack and smear it on thick. that outa do it.

That is a good idea I would try that if I was at Glamis without a repair shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts