YFZ Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I know this section is for dune riding, but there wasn't another section for 300ft threads. Not to mention, the best advice is more than likely coming from a duner.

So I ordered some Maxxis 4snows in 8" to do some drag racing (300ft) on hard packed clay. The 8" wheels I purchased were for a Blaster hub, so I am exchanging the 8" tire for some 9"s. Bad news is, they won't be here before I go the track this Sunday. I've tried just about every MX tire and pattern out there and most hook nice when the track is sprayed down & prep'd. However, on a dry day, the surface is like a dusty gravel, and during launches, my rears are just spinning, almost in place. Losing a lot of time, especially when this carries on for say the first 20-40 yards.

I ran across a rear set of brand new Sand Sharks locally, mounted for $80. The guy lives about 15 miles up the road. He said they were for a Raptor, but never used them. They have 8 paddles, but they are 20 x 11-10.

I wanted the 8" originally because I was under the impression, less rotation, quicker acceleration, so how much would a 10" wheel rob me?

I know they aren't the go to paddles for the dunes, but I'm just running 300ft on hard packed clay, no hill or incline. How do you believe these would fair on a big 3 YFZ, mods in signature? Or just totally avoid the 10", and take my chances with a MX pattern on a 9"?

Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Im not sure the rim has anything to do with acceleration. That only effects overall ride I thought. Im with you on poor hook up in loose gravel. Go past the big three and it gets worse. Haha! I would run the 20*11*10, worse that can happen is you tear them up in the terrain. I run my 8 paddle skat trak haulers in a loose gravel strip I run with no issues in the size you could get.

Granted I still think I was under paddled because it spun until I am about to leave 3rd launching from 2nd. I got 10 paddles for next season.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure the rim has anything to do with acceleration. That only effects overall ride I thought. Im with you on poor hook up in loose gravel. Go past the big three and it gets worse. Haha! I would run the 20*11*10, worse that can happen is you tear them up in the terrain. I run my 8 paddle skat trak haulers in a loose gravel strip I run with no issues in the size you could get.

Granted I still think I was under paddled because it spun until I am about to leave 3rd launching from 2nd. I got 10 paddles for next season.
Ok, kool! I was thinking my poor little big 3 quad would have trouble rotating the larger diameter wheels, and heavier tires, but never hurts to try! I wonder why the MX guys run the 8" over 9" or 10"? Thanks for the input Shaftman!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not sure the rim has anything to do with acceleration. That only effects overall ride I thought.
I'm almost certain that the 8" should accel a teeny weeny bit faster vs the 9". My theory is based off of rotational mass being an inhibitor to acceleration. So same profile and size tire on the 8", should accelerate faster. Probably grip a little better, and provide more side wall flex for cornering.

Sound about right? Or, is my theory more of a conspiracy lol?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I'm almost certain that the 8" should accel a teeny weeny bit faster vs the 9". My theory is based off of rotational mass being an inhibitor to acceleration. So same profile and size tire on the 8", should accelerate faster. Probably grip a little better, and provide more side wall flex for cornering.

Sound about right? Or, is my theory more of a conspiracy lol?
But your still rotating the tires regardless of rim size. Its not like the rims are gears for the tires. So 8" center, 2" center, or 12" center still has a 20" tire attached for the final point.

Smaller rim means more sidewall and better flex and ride over bumpy terrain is all I think they gain.

Weight may play a factor for rotational mass... but thats another topic

·
Registered
858 Posts
Ok, kool! I was thinking my poor little big 3 quad would have trouble rotating the larger diameter wheels, and heavier tires, but never hurts to try! I wonder why the MX guys run the 8" over 9" or 10"? Thanks for the input Shaftman!
Because for mx you normally run 18" tires. With a 9 or 10 inch rim you would have very little sidewall which would be a rough ride and you would get pinch flats.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But your still rotating the tires regardless of rim size. Its not like the rims are gears for the tires. So 8" center, 2" center, or 12" center still has a 20" tire attached for the final point.

Smaller rim means more sidewall and better flex and ride over bumpy terrain is all I think they gain.

Weight may play a factor for rotational mass... but thats another topic
Because for mx you normally run 18" tires. With a 9 or 10 inch rim you would have very little sidewall which would be a rough ride and you would get pinch flats.
Thanks guys for the insight. Sometimes, I am victim to over thinking the situation, while ignoring the obvious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts