YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently Im running Full Synthetic AMSOIL 10w40, and was wondering about switching to Yamalube conventional oil. The reason I was thinking about it is because I will be running my bike alot and will be doing alot of oil changes and at 13.99 a litre compared to 4.99 a litre.. how frequent would I need to change my oil with each, I was told with the AMSOIL every 20 hours, would that be cut in half with the yamalube? Im probably better off running the AMSOIL even at the price it is, longer intervals between changes and a cleaner better oil for the bike..

Any comments accepted :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
QUOTE (mooselight8 @ Feb 12 2009, 02:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=745791
Currently Im running Full Synthetic AMSOIL 10w40, and was wondering about switching to Yamalube conventional oil. The reason I was thinking about it is because I will be running my bike alot and will be doing alot of oil changes and at 13.99 a litre compared to 4.99 a litre.. how frequent would I need to change my oil with each, I was told with the AMSOIL every 20 hours, would that be cut in half with the yamalube? Im probably better off running the AMSOIL even at the price it is, longer intervals between changes and a cleaner better oil for the bike..

Any comments accepted :)[/b]
I was told this is the place for yfz questions, nobody wants to answer me though :(

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
QUOTE (Blackedyfz450 @ Feb 13 2009, 03:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746161
just stick with the amsoil. i personally wont run the yamalube. i run 20-50 amsoil[/b]
I agree.

In my opinion, oil isn't something you want to skimp out and save money on. I know Amsoil costs a little more than others and it gets expensive to change oil every other ride like I do, but it's better than having engine failures.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
yea what gtilley said. I pay about $30 every oil change, thats alot more justifiable then a $2000 rebuild bill! :shocker:

·
Premium Member
13,948 Posts
QUOTE (mooselight8 @ Feb 13 2009, 02:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746153
I was told this is the place for yfz questions, nobody wants to answer me though :([/b]
Oil is a very debatable topic...thruthfully it's all opinion if you ask me. Some say to stay with amsoil (I really think people that use amsoil are brainwashed but again, that's my opinion. :mhihi: ) and some say use the cheap shit if you change it often (never really gets to the point of breaking down).

I used Yamalube and apparently I was ripped off the four years I owned my quad....thank you for the information...I will be sure to pass it on without anything to back it up....thank goodness I found out too late. :strokin:

Seriously...use what you feel comfortable with..change it often to prolong the life of your motor and keep you air filter clean. :smile:

·
Premium Member
13,948 Posts
QUOTE (YFZER359 @ Feb 13 2009, 06:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746191
yea what gtilley said. I pay about $30 every oil change, thats alot more justifiable then a $2000 rebuild bill! :shocker:[/b]
I would love to do your motorwork if you're paying 2K for a rebuild. :mhihi: (I know what you were saying though...I'm just joking with you)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Wait until you burn your engine down and it costs you $1500 or more to get it rebuilt. You'll be asking yourself if the $50 you saved on oil for a whole season of oil was the reason for the engine failure and kicking your own ass all over town.

Stick with the good stuff. You're searching for savings in the wrong place.

·
Registered
642 Posts
QUOTE (gtilley45 @ Feb 15 2009, 07:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746632
:mhihi: :clap:[/b]

Not really. If you take out the crank, cylinder, piston, and upgrade to a Falicon rod, that's $2K alone without even touching the head. I'm sure you can find a place to do the work for less, but I'd rather pay a reputable shop to do good work and have the peace of mind its done right.

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
QUOTE (knaffie @ Feb 15 2009, 10:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746645
Not really. If you take out the crank, cylinder, piston, and upgrade to a Falicon rod, that's $2K alone without even touching the head. I'm sure you can find a place to do the work for less, but I'd rather pay a reputable shop to do good work and have the peace of mind its done right.[/b]
the best peace of mind is doing it yourself...

·
Registered
284 Posts
I get amsoil motorcycle oil 10W-40 for about 8.25 a quart.. and no its not "opinion" I have ran yamalube, and motul in my YFZ 450.. I immediately switched back. The clutch chattered like crazy and would shift correctly and would sound like a slam sometimes when it did to where I literally stopped my quad and got off and checked it.. No don't come back to me with the worn out clutch, it's all new Barnett.. Also it ran hotter and seemed to run off..

I also posted a thing up if I should become a dealer or whatever and who would buy some from me?
Haven't got anything on that so shoot that down.. haha.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i too am going to run amsoil full synthetic but i am wondering what weight to run? I am in minnesota so i do a ton of riding in all different temps. 20degrees to 90. What weight should i run

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
QUOTE (yfzforlife @ Mar 4 2009, 05:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=753845
i too am going to run amsoil full synthetic but i am wondering what weight to run? I am in minnesota so i do a ton of riding in all different temps. 20degrees to 90. What weight should i run[/b]
they recomend 20W-50 in the summer and 10W-30 in the winter but i run 10W-30 all year. My temps up here are from +30C to -30C lol

·
Registered
642 Posts
QUOTE (yfzforlife @ Mar 4 2009, 04:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=753845
i too am going to run amsoil full synthetic but i am wondering what weight to run? I am in minnesota so i do a ton of riding in all different temps. 20degrees to 90. What weight should i run[/b]

0W-40 is preferred for all temps. Call their tech line and talk to them about it.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aff.aspx

AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® PowerSports Synthetic Motor Oil (AFF) is specially formulated for ATVs, UTVs, snowmobiles and other power sports applications. Its broad viscosity range and wax-free formulation make it excellent for use in both hot and cold temperature extremes.

Applications and Recommendations
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® PowerSports Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for four-stroke engines and transmissions on two- or four-stroke powered applications. It is an all climate/all season oil that replaces 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40 oils for ATVs, UTVs, snowmobiles and other power sports equipment. Manufacturers include Polaris®, Honda®, Yamaha®, Ski-Doo®, Can-Am® (Bombardier®), Suzuki®, Kawasaki® and Arctic Cat®.

·
Registered
80 Posts
ive been told by the guys in town at moto-xperts that running synthetic oil in the 450's is bad. The oil runs hotter and tends to cause clutch slip, sometimes clutch failure. I was running 20W50 gold series spectro and switched to straight 20W50 Spectro. Supirsingly i found that my clutch seems a lot stickier and grabs so much better then it did before. Not sure how right they are, just goin off what they said. They're a race team/shop, so im gonna take their word for it.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
They could have been talking about synthetic car oil. It has friction modifiers in it that will cause the clutch in a quad to slip. But synthetic oil that is made for a wet clutch set up doesn't have the friction modifiers, and works fine in a quad.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts