YFZ Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a nutshell:
1) Oil in airbox = I reved and also maybe overfilled the oil.
2) Oil not returning to the tank = oil pump? Tank filter screen is clean.
3) Black tiny particles in oil?
4) Oil filter looks plugged. Possible oil return problem source?

Background:
Just got myself and my wife a 2006 and a 2008 YFZ 450. Immediately completed an oil change and tested the quads out. No issues.
Second run my 08 battery failed. Nothing else to report. (2-3 hour run total)

Third and so far last run of about 1-2 hours (Oil shot everywhere in my air box, no oil on dip stick.)
No smoke out the pipe. Quad still sounds and feels perfect.

I decided to start with the fact that I reved the *&*& out of the quad and I may have overfilled the oil the first time. -- So I decided to start by returning the oil level back to normal.

Problem:
3 Quarts later and still not reading on the dip stick. Oil is not getting back to the tank. I drained the oil to find tiny black particles in the oil. (Research tells me maybe clutch pads or something....)
Oil filter looks plugged.
No trace of any particles in or around the gears of the motor under the cover. No trace of any other restrictions.

Question:
Could a potentially plugged oil filter restrict oil from returning to the tank? Quad has no issues taking the oil from the tank.
Also research shows to start with a new oil filter and fresh oil and try again.
Last thing: Clutch particles? No problems with switching gears or anything. Just curious.

Thank you and thank you "search" for getting me this far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, replaced the oil filter, oil, put everything back together. Checked the oil lines running to the tank..... Still not returning oil to the tank. Pulling oil fine just not returning oil to the tank.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Clutch for sure.
Second did you clean the screens on the bottom of the tank? Some channel is plugged with debris. Pull clutch and inspect. Wont do you much good to unclog when the clutch will do it again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply,
I was about ready to take this thing in but I am getting quotes of $900-$1000 in labor, so I'll do this myself, it will be good for me to learn anyway.

What I need help with right now is what do I need before I take on this task of taking the clutch out and then further into possibly splitting the case to get to the pick up screen in the sump. I noticed that I need to take the clutch out to get access to the oil pump but I don't know the torque to put it back together as well as a torque wrench.

So the only things I need to know is what tools should I get (specialty wise) and what torque do I put it all back together with.
Including the case bolts on the outside.

Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.