YFZ Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2014 yfz450r and i noticed after i washed it the other day that there is water and oil in the stock airbox. i soaked it up with some rags and i noticed that there is oil/water draining into the airbox from that hole in the bottom of it. is this normal? im worried that something is wrong with it. ive never seen it do that before.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The oil is coming from your crankcase breather hose and is normal...which is the reason for it being located where it is. The crankcase needs to breathe due to the pressure created from the motor and the oil vapor escapes from the crankcase into the breather hose, then into the breather box and finally dumps into your air box. This is the same concept as a PCV valve on a car.

Just make sure the oil level in your motor is correct. Too much oil will create excessive pressure which will cause more oil vapor to escape into your breather box/filter box.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the oil level and it is right where its supposed to be. ive thought about it and noticed that it only seems to do this when i pressure wash it. i think that a lot of it is water seeping through and on the air filter and mixing with that oil and then running into that breather hose because once i soaked it all up with rags i seen that it was oozing out little by little. i just wanted to make sure nothing bad was happening like the rings going down or something like that. i seen on some other posts that if the rings go down it will let excess oil leak into the airbox but i dont know how true that is. thats why i wanted a second opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.