YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11 R.
I'm getting oil into the airbox.
I read about oil catch box, blow by, bouncing off the revs, and a few other things.
I'm going to pull the catch and inspect it.
I was riding Friday and I was bouncing off the limiter through the whoops.
I'm going to change the oil. What's the amount? I didn't look yet. With the filter change

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I have a 2012 R I bought used ,it had a lot of oil in the air box when I got it. I cleaned it out put a new filter in it. I have about 8 hours on it this spring oil has not returned yet.... Kind of wierd

·
Super Moderator
3,989 Posts
Actually it's drains back from the oil seperator under your left rear fender.

Very little chance of debris being carried back to your engine. If you over filled your engine oil you will get oil in your airbox.

Warm up your engine so the oil expands then uncrew the dipstick wipe it off and drop it back into the engine case. DO NOT screw it back in. Then pull out and take your reading.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny how the 450 dirtbikes run straight to the ground with no filter or one way valve.....?? If you look up "T" mod you will find delete options for the sepetator/catch can.
Okay will do.

I cleaned it the week I picked up the bike. Filter cleaned. No oil in air box.
Friday was my first ride. I rode the bike pretty hard. Wheelied it a lot, bounced it off the limiter a lot.
So those 2 may have contributed.
I'm going to drain the oil, change the filter, fill it, and maybe get out next weekend. But prob not. Holiday weekend are not safe to ride here in nj really

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, i've always run my breather lines open just like a dirt bike. Back to the rear grab bar and pointed down.
But how much is an accetable loss?
My airbox was empty and dry at beginning of the ride.

·
Super Moderator
3,989 Posts
I have 115 hours on my R and I don't get any oil in my airbox?......Could you be over filled? New rings? You might pull the oil seperator and plug holes and blow through it to see if the foam is plugged up inside?

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
But how much is an accetable loss?
My airbox was empty and dry at beginning of the ride.

I never check my oil even when I do my oil changes. Same amount always goes in. No signs of leak or oil on floor. Oil is good. Not worth worrying about when its constantly being changed.

Also in the carbbed models the motor was pretty much the same as the WR450 motor. That motor held 500ml less than the quad motor.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have 115 hours on my R and I don't get any oil in my airbox?......Could you be over filled? New rings? You might pull the oil seperator and plug holes and blow through it to see if the foam is plugged up inside?
I hope. Guy said he changed it prior to sale.
Just got out of work going to inspect when I get home

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never check my oil even when I do my oil changes. Same amount always goes in. No signs of leak or oil on floor. Oil is good. Not worth worrying about when its constantly being changed.

Also in the carbbed models the motor was pretty much the same as the WR450 motor. That motor held 500ml less than the quad motor.
Right, you don't lose any. If i dump it to the ground I'll have no idea that I'm spewing oil.
And yeah it is something to worry about if I'm blowing out a half a qt every 2 hours

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay. So I drained the oil. Both plugs.
Why is there 2?
I swear I got about 3 qts out of the thing.
The oil looked okay. Blackish, thick, no glitter.
The filter looked like crap. But again, no glitter or chunks.
I'm hoping this fixed my over flow issue. I couldn't open that catch box. I sprayed brake clean in it and rinsed it blew it out with an air compressor.
So maybe in the next few weeks I'll get out there again.
I'm supposed to get my banshee motor back this weekend. So maybe I can bring both bikes and ride them.back to back.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the oil seperator is glued together??
Makes sense. I didn't get to involved once I drained the oil and it didn't stop at the 2 qt mark.
So once my air filter dries I'll oil that up and maybe take a couple runs up the street.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oem oil recuperatoe/breather is rubbish. You could try ltr450 oil breather and se if it improves.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts