YFZ Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so i just got my yfz 450 Monday night and im going riding tomorrow so i decide to change the oil in it before.
so any way with the problem i pulled the filter and pulled the lower line to the resivor at the motor i let it all drain out i don't know why did this but i started trying to put two quarts in the resivor it over flowed so i stopped and drained a quart out of it and put in the motor and started it let it sit and the dip stick is still reading over full help please i need to finish this tonight

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
there are drain plugs to make it easier lol

one at the bottom of the tank and one at the bottom of the engine just below and behind the gear lever.

once they are drained you put 1.55Liters in the tank and .3Liters in the engine.

or as some do it. 1.5 quarts in the tank and 1/2 quart in the engine.

start it and let it run for about 30 seconds. check the level once you've turned it off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (YFZ450 #69 @ Feb 25 2009, 09:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751074
there are drain plugs to make it easier lol

one at the bottom of the tank and one at the bottom of the engine just below and behind the gear lever.

once they are drained you put 1.55Liters in the tank and .3Liters in the engine.

or as some do it. 1.5 quarts in the tank and 1/2 quart in the engine.

start it and let it run for about 30 seconds. check the level once you've turned it off.[/b]
what is a gear leveler sorry first bike never really felt like messing with my parents before, are you talking about the actual shifter?

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
QUOTE (shatley450 @ Feb 25 2009, 11:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751100
alright cool got it thanks appreciate it[/b]
since you seem new to the whole thing, it would be a great idea to try and get your hands on an owners manual, it will go through some of the routine maintenance, if you can get an actual book, you can view them free through the yamaha website.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
i put 3/4 quart in motor and 1 1/4 in the tank and it is reading exactly full, 3/4 isnt to much to put in the motor is it?

if it is to much it will even out am i right, i used to put a full quart in the motor and full quart in the tank never had any problems with it just wanted to run this by yall and see what ur opinions were

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
QUOTE (YFZ450 #69 @ Feb 26 2009, 07:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751479
it will even out. did you check the oil level after running it for a bit or right after you filled it?[/b]

i let it idle for around 3-4 mins and then let it sit for 8-10 mins then checked the oil tank and it read perfect on full

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (leveldrummer @ Feb 25 2009, 10:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751109
since you seem new to the whole thing, it would be a great idea to try and get your hands on an owners manual, it will go through some of the routine maintenance, if you can get an actual book, you can view them free through the yamaha website.[/b]
could you possibly send me a link to ot i cant find it for the 05

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
QUOTE (shatley450 @ Feb 26 2009, 08:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751499
i just went out and bought more oil draind it all my the drain plug and the ressy let run went around the block checked it and it still reads over full[/b]
Just a thought, have you checked the screen on the bottom oil line coming from the tank? They are known to get pretty clogged up and if yours is clogged, that could cause your problem.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Im sure it recirculates thru the resevior, thats what its for. So im sure it evens out. Just dont over fill it all together. Or it could pop the decompression plug out. Mine did with about a half inch over the full mark. I bought it filled that full, wasnt my fault, just FYI.

·
Registered
151 Posts
what'll getcha is if you don't put enough in the oil tank. Then the pump gets thirsty, and your cam journals get reaaaaal thirtsy... :bawling:

·
Registered
261 Posts
QUOTE (gtilley45 @ Feb 27 2009, 04:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751856
He's got an '05, his doesn't have the decompression plug.[/b]
Oh, thought every year had the plug, just more prone to pop out in the 04. Learn something new every day lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts