YFZ Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for taking the time to read this and potentially help me fix my problem(s). I have a 2005 yfz450 and i can not get it to turn over with the starter, if i take out the starter gear the start turns fine. i have also tried removing the inspection cap and turning the motor by hand and that does work but it is very difficult. i took the motor apart to reset the timing and when i put it back together from everything i could see it was all on time from the top and the line behind the inspection hole. any ideas on why it might be so hard to turn over? thanks again.

·
Registered
277 Posts
A buddy of mine just had a similar issue with his ltr. Turns out his connecting rod bearing failed. With your bike being an 05, if it didn’t have the “oil mod” done, it could most definitely be the connecting rod bearing. The 04-05 models are notorious for it. If you can, pull the spark plug and give it a few turns by hand to see if it makes it any better. If it does and there’s still resistance chances are it’s the crank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It turned over great before i took it apart though, just because it wasn’t getting spark. is it possible for the bearing to go bad just from sitting?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Negative. If it was running fine before you did any maintenance then your fine. Did you check the cam caps To make sure they are seated correctly and torqued?

·
Registered
2 Posts
im having the same issue, the starter turns the starter clutch over, and it engages the flywheel so im getting power from the starter, but the engine is not turningover, i put the quad in gear and move it and i see the piston is moving up and down just fine, also i turned the flywheel with a nut and it rotates fine. im so lost i even replaced the starter clutch and one way bearing. Does anyone know what direction the starter clutch is supposed to rotate and what direction the starter rotates? maybe i have the wrong starter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts