YFZ Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going really fast in 5th gear on a 2005 yfz450, and there was a car tailgating me. So I tried to take a turn before coming to a stop, as I am relevantly new to riding quads. I didn’t hold in the clutch and it shut off on 5th gear and now it doesn’t start electrically but does push start and the solenoid doesn’t click even with a brand new one. When push started it runs normally and just got it back from the shop, was running perfect condition prior to “accident.” Does anyone know anything?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
What happens in neutral, key turned to on, kill switch to run, clutch pulled and touching start button?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have same issue. But mine is due to my own stupidity. Bought the bike with the solution in place and I tore bike down thinking I would remember how to replace the fix. It’s just a jumper wire. When I figure out I will post. Hopefully today.
Anyone else found the fix please post as it will save me from the Trial and Error process to be undertaken.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So after much troubleshooting, eliminating over-ride circuits (neutral, clutch, TPS, etc) I finally started throwing Relays at the Quad.
Got it right on the second try.
Of course the problem relay was $72 and that’s from Motorsport.com, not sure the dealer price.
I’ve included picture of culprit along with part no.
hope this helps someone in future.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am little late to this post - sorry if this has been looked at already.

We have an 07 and I am not sure if your 05 has the same wiring so check your wiring diagram.

First things first, check your fuses.

The starting circuit has a cut off relay. It is a safety feature. Your bike will NOT energize your starter relay (solenoid) when you press the start button until the starting circuit cut off relay has closed. This relay gets +12V from when you turn the key to on and the run/kill switch to run. It completes its circuit with a path to ground through either the clutch switch or neutral safety switch. When the starter circuit cut off relay closes, this sends +12V to the solenoid. When functioning correctly, you can hear a faint click when it closes in response to sliding the kill switch to run (it is the small relay that "Chub" shows above). When you press the start button, you create a ground path for the solenoid and it fires and energizes your starter motor.

The neutral safety switch connection wire is notorious for slipping off or just getting oily or dirty making it unreliable. The neutral safety switch also lights the neutral indicator light so if this is NOT coming on when you know the bike is in neutral, then the neutral safety switch is not working correctly. Check it for proper connection and cleanliness. It is located on the left side of the bike down by the gear shift shaft. The switch itself could be bad too.

You can start the bike while in gear by pulling in the clutch lever and closing the clutch switch. These switches are often neglected or disconnected so check that as well.

Lastly, the starting circuit cut off relay might be bad which sounds like happened to "Chub" above. Sorry about that "Chub" - small problem that was. PITA to fix.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts