YFZ Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my son’s YFZ450R. Recently replaced piston and cylinder. I put 2 quarts of oil in the crankcase. I started it and let it warm up for several minutes. I turned it off and checked the oil on the dipstick. No oil is showing on the dipstick. There are no external leaks. Where did the oil go or why is it no showing on the dipstick? This is an R model it does not have a separate oil tank.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Only takes 1.5 quarts. There is a process to check the oil but a lot of guys are swapping out to a oil cover with a sight glass here’s the one I have from jls motorsports

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
2 quarts of oil and nothing is showing on the dipstick? Are you sure? Maybe try draining it and refilling it as something is obviously not right there. Are you sure the oil pump is working? Might be all in the base and the pump isn't bringing it back up to the "tank" but that's just a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand it only calls for 1-
2 quarts of oil and nothing is showing on the dipstick? Are you sure? Maybe try draining it and refilling it as something is obviously not right there. Are you sure the oil pump is working? Might be all in the base and the pump isn't bringing it back up to the "tank" but that's just a shot in the dark.
Yes, absolutely nothing showing on dipstick. I think you maybe correct on an oil pump issue. I know it has some oil pressure as I loosened the bleeder screw on the side of the head and had oil flow. What keeps the oil “up” in the case ?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I believe it's just the oil pump. I know when you let it sit for a minute everything eventually drains to the case and my understanding was that the oil pump brought it back into the "tank" portion, but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help. I will pull the clutch basket over the weekend and take a look at the pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought I would update with the solution. The oil pump sump filter was clogged with debris from a previous stator failure. I split the cases and cleaned out all the debris. It seems to have cured the problem.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Out of curiosity, do you have to split the cases to be able to get to the filter to clean it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts