YFZ Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am taking delivery of my YFZ tomorrow and I had a few questions I hope everyone can help me out on.
I have read through most of the archives to find the answers to most of them, but I would like some confirmations on decisions and answers to some questions I still have.

1. I am going to be doing the free/cheap mods (no lid, yanking pea-shooter, and rejet) Based on my findings, will the following jetting work well? Sea-level elevation, FL heat.... 165 main, 45 pilot, and the YZF needle NCVQ. What clip position and air screw settings would be desirable?

2. Exhaust Cam mod....what's this I hear about the cam mod affecting something in the decompression system? Would it be a better choice to buy the YZF cam that already has the retard built into it? If you swap to the YFZ cam, is there any lash adjustments that would need to be made?

3. Anyone have any suggestions on the break-in period? My KFX 400 manual recommended a 10 hour break in. I only put about 2 hours on it, and about 3 heat cycles before unleashing the throttle. About 30 hours later, everything is still perfect. :rock

That's about it for now. :yfz and so does Z400Central!
Sorry if :sucks

·
Registered
205 Posts
jetting is something you have to play with to get right...that being said, I'm in MN at ~1000 feet and I run a 168 main, 45 pilot, stock needle in 2nd from bottom clip. I'm going to play with it some more this weekend...

I broke my bike in pretty hard..rode it around for about 5 mins, then dropped the hammer...I couldn't resist anymore.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is a little tip on jetting watch your exhaust pipe color inside the tail pipe it won't get you dead on but it will give you a indecation on where your at and wiitch way you need to go. If the coloris white then it is lean witch means to go richer or if it is black it it is to rich and needs to be leaner the good color to have is a tan color. You have to ride it a bit to get the color in the pipe. After chnging the jet whip out pipe and re do you can also does this onthe plug also. hope this will help you.

·
Registered
453 Posts
DONT BREAK IT IN SLOW!! :nono check out this website and you will see what i mean im a believer in it. i got my "y" a week ago and havent had a bit of problem with it and i broke my 250 r in like this which by the way is for sale. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
Rob your jetting sounds good. I did the cam mod and then the YZ cam and I can say that the YZ cam is a better feel and better power across the board. TC Racing says that the cam mod and the YZ cam dont work with his pipe which is nice to know if you are looking for a pipe down the road.
Breakin: Follow the instructions on that mototune website and you will be very happy. That is the way I broke mine in and I couldnt be happier with it.
Isac

1 - 6 of 6 Posts