YFZ Central banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my new yfz home and rode it around my yard for the first time (its night out) and instantly the header part of the exaust was glowing red..is this normal? just wanna make sure..any tips on break in and all that stuff will help also..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey man, there is no need for concern! This topic has been cover many times on this board... this Red hot glowing pipe is compleatly normal for the YFZ and it Dirt bike brethren. In an effort to keep the YFZ's weight to minimal standards, Yamaha made the Walls of the header very thin, and also is contributed to by the 3 exhaust valves flowing out of the 11.9:1 cylinder. Unlike what some other people have said about the carb being too lean its not that trust me. Also it will not affect your engine at all. Dont fret my young Brad, there is nothing to worry about other than a burnt calf, if riding wuth shorts on! Glad to be of service! :rock :rock rock on

Brett

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have it in the garage now, you can just rev it and watch the pipe glow bright red, you can even see it glowing good with the garage lights on.. kinda scaring me, is this just how they are?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alot man, thats a big relief.. i was scared of the lean thing.. once agian thanks alot..

any tips for break in on this thing?

·
Registered
27 Posts
your welcome brad, and in the way of breaking it in... well just take it easy for a while and dont go wide open until about like 4-5 hours in. and even then dont keep it open for too long, because when i did, the thing stalls and wont start for a while, so be carefull. After the 5 or so hour mark, you should change the oil, and after that, the motor should be about halfway done breaking in. Just dont beat it to hard for about another 5 hours, and you will then start to notice the bike getting the regular horse-power, and also better gas mileage. (you'll need it) And after that, feel free to do what you please, and rip up whatever grass you want as well! :rock :rock rock on

Brett

·
Registered
27 Posts
yea, that works too.... ;) :rock :nono :O

Brett :rock :rock Rock on

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
are the engines and trannys always pretty noisy on these things?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Do not worry man that is normal. I know for a fact it is supposed to do that and it will not do any damage to your bike. It is normal so no worries.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks agian..

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by Woody_YFZ@Sep 3 2003, 07:32 AM
People keep talking about the head pipes glowing, but I've never seen mine glow. It definitely gets really hot though.
You'll only see it glowing if its dark or close to dark.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts