YFZ Central banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
:stupid You guys are all nuts! :nono There may be 15 people that use either the Klaw's or the hipers at the GNC's. Are you guys just going to run what ever Kory runs? Like I have said in other posts look at the A and Pro-am riders. What they use is usualy the best. 90% of the MX racers at the GNC's use this combinaition

Rear: 18X10X8 ITP MXR on 8" douglas billet beadlock wheels

Front 20X5X10 ITP MX on 10" douglas billet wheels (no need for the beadlock up front just extra rotational mass)

You don't need the billet centers but at least get the .190

·
Registered
570 Posts
Quick question, How do the Douglas Beadlocks compare to the Hiper bead locks in weight? Also, how do both compare to the stock rims in weight? Thanks.

·
Registered
625 Posts
single or double beadlocks, can tyres on these be easily changed by yourself?

Thanks guys, Geoff.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
the hipers have double beadlocks because they need to have them to make the wheel stronger. that backs up what i said above, it takes more carbon fiber to make it strong enough. You can get douglas with double beadlocks but it is not needed. the single beadlock can be easily changed you just need a beadbreaker ($60) to break the rear bead.

8x8 Douglass beadlocks with Kenda Klaw MXR's
10x6 Douglass Beadlocks for the front on kenda Klaw mxf's

:stupid NO! nobody uses Kenda Klaws, have you guys ever been to a MX race. Nobody uses Front beadlocks either, that is just extra rotational mass that you do not need. TRUST ME I have been running the GNC MX circuit for 3 years in the open pro-am class I know what I am talking about. :sucks

·
Registered
102 Posts
The toughest wheels you can buy, you already own.

Put some Klaws on your stock rims.

If you want to do both MX and general riding with one set of tires, you already have the best tires for that also.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
:sucks :stupid oh my god, does everyone here work at Kenda or something? should I say it again or just copy and paste all of my other responses here. ITP MXR, everybody uses ITP MXR. Anyone that does not use MXR gets paid to use something else. looks like it was money well spent because everyone seems to think they are the best. If you don't buy ITP MXR's you will go to the track and wish you had.

Just curious, those of you that say to buy the Klaw or the Hiper wheels. what makes you say that. let's get some facts behind those opinions, some credentials might not hurt either.

Here are my facts:
ITP MXR - this is the third generation of the ITP holeshot line. First there was the holeshot, it was okay but not used very much, then in 2001 they came out with the ITP holeshot MX. At that time the Titan turf tamer was the tire of choice along with the riken grooved radial up front. The holeshot MX front and rear slowly caught on throughout the season and became the tire of choice in 2002. Some people still chose and still do choose to run a turf tamer in the rear on hard packed and blue grooved tracks. early in 2003 ITP came out with it's third and current generation of holeshot the MXR it is essentialy the same as the MX but the lugs are spaced out more and the compound is a little softer. This is what 90% of the riders use now. HERE IS THE CORRECT TIRE SET UP FOR MX

REAR: ITP HOLESHOT MXR 18X10X8 WITH 7-10 POUNDS OF AIR (depending on track conditions)

FRONT: ITP HOLESHOT MX 20X5X10 WITH 20-22 POUNDS OF AIR

As for the Hiper wheels, since i can remember MX racers used douglas red label wheels (beadlocks in rear). around 2000 Hiper came out with their carbon fiber wheels, some people used them but at most 5-10%. Early in their life they had several problems and lost a lot of market share because of that. they really aren't any better than the douglas red labels and people buy them just to say they have them, it is a luxury item.

As for the credentials:
8 years racing MX
3 years on the GNC circuit
Iowa state champion 2000 and 2002
2003 season 7th GNC Open A, 11th GNC Open Pro-AM

·
Registered
102 Posts
GNC_118, I don't doubt that Holeshots are a LITTLE better than klaws on hardpack, because they are a softer compound.

That softer compound causes much faster wear.

I had a set of Holeshot MXRs.
I can buy Klaws a good bit cheaper, and they will last longer, and I would say are 80-90% as good as the Holeshots on hardpack, and BETTER in the mud.

The guy asking the question already said he probably wouldn't race, and wanted the best setup for both conditions.

As for the wheels, the best wheel you can buy, is a spun aluminium from DID.

But you are right about the pros, and the Holeshots.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I completely agree with you. the holeshot MXR is not something you want for trail riding I was just stating MX use only. by the way what is DID?

·
Registered
194 Posts
OEM wheels are the best?????

NOW THATS FUNNY!!!!!

I dont know whats better, the Ultimate's or Hypers, but they are both very good wheels. I chose to go with the Hypers because if I do manage to break a section, I can replace just that section. If you manage to warp a Ulitmate, you have to replace the whole wheel.
Also, carbon fiber is stronger, and will flex more than aliminum will before it deforms.
For me, the Hypers were the best choice.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by NHYFZ450@Nov 20 2003, 04:28 AM
OEM wheels are the best?????

NOW THATS FUNNY!!!!!
hes serious....... lol...... believe it or not..... they are really strong as H311....... they hav a rolled edge, which a regular Douglas .190 or regular ITP .190 do not have..... i didnt believe at first either but they really are because of the rolled edge they hav on them....... strongest wheel next to beadlocks

·
Registered
194 Posts
The OEM wheels are junk, PERIOD!!!!!

All 4 of my wheels are warpped.

Yes, they are stronger than a Douglas .190 because of the rolled edge, but to say the are the strongest, or best wheels is crazy!!

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by NHYFZ450@Nov 20 2003, 04:35 AM
Yes, they are stronger than a Douglas .190 because of the rolled edge, but to say the are the strongest, or best wheels is crazy!!
:stupid im w/ 100% on that

21 - 34 of 34 Posts