YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided that I am going to race mx next year. I will need to get some new rims and tires. Please post some suggestions (brands and sizes. ) Thanks.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by nacsracer27+Oct 29 2003, 11:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nacsracer27 @ Oct 29 2003, 11:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RiPPiNiTuP7@Oct 28 2003, 02:44 PM
18"/20" klaws on 8"/10" douglas ultimate beadlocks.
yup [/b][/quote]
:stupid about the klaws but get hipers if u got the money.... but if doug. ult. are in your price range, definitely those..... but get the billet center

·
Registered
304 Posts
Originally posted by YFZ_53+Oct 29 2003, 09:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (YFZ_53 @ Oct 29 2003, 09:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 29 2003, 11:22 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--RiPPiNiTuP7
@Oct 28 2003, 02:44 PM

yup
:stupid about the klaws but get hipers if u got the money.... but if doug. ult. are in your price range, definitely those..... but get the billet center [/b][/quote]
billet centers have no advantage cept some people (not me) think they look cool.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7+Oct 30 2003, 03:40 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RiPPiNiTuP7 @ Oct 30 2003, 03:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 29 2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 29 2003, 11:22 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--RiPPiNiTuP7
@Oct 28 2003, 02:44 PM

yup

:stupid about the klaws but get hipers if u got the money.... but if doug. ult. are in your price range, definitely those..... but get the billet center
billet centers have no advantage cept some people (not me) think they look cool. [/b][/quote]
im one of them peoples :lol

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Klaws on Hipers with Red Rings :lol

·
Registered
117 Posts
I like the Kenda Klaws, the hiper rims will cost you more upfront but will save you $ in a long run. I have gone through many sets of douglas and ITP aluminum rims, you hit even the smallest rock and they get dinged up, you come up short on a big double or tabletop and they get flat spots. I got hiper rims on my 400ex and have been running them for 2 years now without any problems. They are vurtuaely indestructable. You will save money in a long run. I am ordering new billet center pieces to make them fit onto my YFZ, is'nt that great! :rock

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by seatec@Oct 30 2003, 06:35 AM
where can i se those hipers on-line? WHo sells combos  hipers and rzr II's?
You got some extra scratch after selling the CRF - gonna doll yer FYZ up a bit huh?

·
Registered
983 Posts
you got that right selector. im almost there but needs some good rubber and wheels. i want to set my quad up for dual purpous Woods/mx which is though. good thing is that i dont really race MX so it can be a little of both.
Selector. for dual purpous quad what tire sizes would you choose? for mx the rear should be 18 but thats a bit small for the woods though dont you think?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Originally posted by Wolf66@Oct 30 2003, 07:31 AM
I like the Kenda Klaws, the hiper rims will cost you more upfront but will save you $ in a long run. I have gone through many sets of douglas and ITP aluminum rims, you hit even the smallest rock and they get dinged up, you come up short on a big double or tabletop and they get flat spots. I got hiper rims on my 400ex and have been running them for 2 years now without any problems. They are vurtuaely indestructable. You will save money in a long run. I am ordering new billet center pieces to make them fit onto my YFZ, is'nt that great! :rock
you know what i find funny....i hear people like you say aluminum rims get flat spots every now and then, but i have yet to EVER see a douglas umtimate beadlock with a flat spot.....maybe a .190 but not the ultimates.

however, i have heard of numerous people that have had issues with their hipers leaking, and people cracking the rims when torquing them down :O thats pretty nice after paying nearly 700 bux for a set of rims.

im not trying to flame on them, just stating what i know. for now i will stick with ultimates, i had them on 2 of my quads and haven't have a SINGLE problem....and i paid nearly half the cost of hipers :rock

·
Registered
141 Posts
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7+Oct 31 2003, 12:35 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RiPPiNiTuP7 @ Oct 31 2003, 12:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Wolf66@Oct 30 2003, 07:31 AM
you know what i find funny....i hear people like you say aluminum rims get flat spots every now and then, but i have yet to EVER see a douglas umtimate beadlock with a flat spot.....maybe a .190 but not the ultimates.

however, i have heard of numerous people that have had issues with their hipers leaking, and people cracking the rims when torquing them down :O thats pretty nice after paying nearly 700 bux for a set of rims.

im not trying to flame on them, just stating what i know. for now i will stick with ultimates, i had them on 2 of my quads and haven't have a SINGLE problem....and i paid nearly half the cost of hipers :rock [/b][/quote]
i agree 100%

·
Registered
983 Posts
so if im sold on the hiper wheels but want some alround tires for some trail and some mx style running what would be a good suggestion and size. should i stick with the 18/20?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Originally posted by seatec@Nov 8 2003, 11:09 AM
so if im sold on the hiper wheels but want some alround tires for some trail and some mx style running what would be a good suggestion and size. should i stick with the 18/20?
yes you should. 18/20 combo

here are 18/20 razrs from my 300ex

Attachments

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
18/20 is only good for MX. i tried riding sand pits on my 300 like that and i couldn't climb. No clearance.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I am looking to buy some wheels for MXing also. I think Hipers are going to be the way to go. I'm pretty sure the carbon fiber material is going to be superior to aluminum. Hipers aren't so expensive when you compare their price versus a double beadlock aluminum wheel.

Here's my logic: If you're going to buy wheels to race with you're going to want the tire to stay put. If you buy single beadlock wheels, the side without the beadlock is susceptable to dents and permanent damage. The wheel isn't going to be half good if only one side will seal a bead. So the next step is to get a single lock with a rolled edge. Anyone who's ruined an OEM wheel knows rolled edges protect only "so much". The next option is a sinle lock with a reenforced edge on the other side. This might last longer, but now you're talking about a more expensive wheel and if you get a flat, the tire will be locked only one side which means it's flop around if you're trying to finish a race on a flat. For about $20/wheel more, you get the double beadlocks. This way they're reinforced and locked on both sides. If you get a flat, I'd imagine there's a good chance you'll finish the race because they tire will stay in place.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
dont overlook the fact the we are running a special on hiper wheels this month.... Free shipping (within the 48 states) on Hiper wheels purchases before DEC. 1st.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts