YFZ Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been reading about the YFZ, a neighbor has a 450 2005 which he does not ride anymore.

I currently have aq 400ex, but I outgrew real quick, I think the next logical thing to do is get rid of the 400, jeje, and get me the YFZ with HMF full exhaust.

I drive by his house everyday and its there in the garage gathering dust year in, year out. I decided one day to stop by and ask him about it. He does not ride anymore. He wants from 1,500 to 2,000. Has never been crashed, first owner, title in hand.

Everything looked clean, except the front sprocket its in need to be changed (has some wear in the grooves). Looks like the metal is not the same compared to the chain and rear sprocket which looked almost brand new. He said he has never changed anything. And it also needs a new stator which works once in a while. He did tell me his mechanic warned him about changing it out, but he simply does not have the time with the kids.

I will keep on reading, hopefully sooner than later will be the proud owner of a almost pristine 05 yfz.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Good luck, and welcome to the forum. Changing the stator on a YFZ is a very easy task. If you end up getting the quad, I'm sure you'll like it. It's definitely not the same animal as the 400EX. The 450 enjoys the revs a lot more than the 400EX. The 400EX is happier being short-shifted, while the 450 is happier when you rev it a little higher. Or even a lot higher... Good luck with the purchase.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read tons of stuff about the 2005 model.

I got to ask the owner if he has done the infamous oil mod.

Have spent a few hours reading about the different models, comparison about efi vs. carb etc.

Lots of good stuff, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, we had agreed to meet up today at his house, but it never happened. He has my cell number, no text, nothing. He did tell me in a very nostalgic way yesterday, that he saw the atv been unboxed out of the crate when he bought it. It seems he is still emotionally attached to the atv. I will let it be, give it a few weeks, etc, and go from there. If it happens fine, on the meantime will keep looking on the classifieds.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Well, best of luck. He may be doing this as a way to milk a little more time or a little more money. I dunno. Either way, good luck. There are still good deals out there. Just do your research. Ask lots of questions. Make sure the one you buy is what you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.