YFZ Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I will be installing new a-arms and a rear axle shortly and was wondering if anyone that has replaced these already, would be willing to share some tips with me before I do it myself.
Thanks.

·
Registered
625 Posts
What brand are you using?

Geoff.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by slinger@Feb 16 2004, 10:39 PM
Hello. I will be installing new a-arms and a rear axle shortly and was wondering if anyone that has replaced these already, would be willing to share some tips with me before I do it myself.
Thanks.
a hammer is not the solution :lol use the correct size stuff..... :lol not sumthin that "fits"........ torque them back to spec......oh yeh.... when ur trying to take the joints out the spindle.... hit the side of the SPINDLE (not joint) where the joint goes in w/ a small rubber mallet pretty firm... it will help get the joints out :rock

·
Registered
503 Posts
i would spend 15 bucks and get a ball joint remover for removing the spindles on the front end. reroute your brake lines the way you want before reinstalling the tie rods. make sure to grease everything that has the zirc fittings before use. for the rear axle, I used a block of wood and a hammer or a rubber mallet to get it out. need a press machine to get the sprocket hub onto the new axle (ain't gonna happen any other way), reuse stock retainer key on the hub. good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The axle isn't too bad, like wildtxn said remember the stock hub retainer, I think he is talking about the little metal ring. I did not have to use a press on my axle, but it might depend on the brand. The a-arms can be a real pain, if you don't know what you are doing. I would bleed the lines first. When you take everything off, I would just make sure to mark all the bolts, so you know what goes where when you bolt things back on. What a-arms are you running? you will probably need the stock bushings, and on the lowers you need the stock end caps on the a-arms. I had Paul Woodward put mine on, but I stuck around and saw how it was done. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Do not use a balljoint remover IMO. my dad ripped the lower boots on my stock a arms. Throw the spindle into a vice and with two hammers, whack the side of the hole on each side at the same time sending vibrations threw the metal and after a few hits, it will just pop out. Learned that from Mike Walsh. it might put alittle scuffs in the spindle but you are not going to see it anyway. I've done that method for my tierods and upper a arms. Works like a dream.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yes, i was referring to the stock retainer clip. i reused it with my LSR axcalibur axle. i had to press fit the hub because it wsn't possibly going on any other way. fit like a charm. I wish i had a bleeding tool for the front brakes, because otherwise if you do it by just pumping them, it's gonna take forever.

I didn't have a ball joint remover but wished i had one to try. i used the lsr a-arms and reused the lower caps. the ball joints on teh original wouldn't have mattered as they were coming off and not reused. i took them off completely and layed on a block of wood and whacked tehm with a rubber mallet to get them free. i would HIGHLY suggest that you try and set your new ball joints somewhat and at least ensure they are the same on both sides before you mount them completely and tighten them up so that your camber/caster is close. otherwise you may have to go through the pain of removing them again for further adjustment.

Don't let it discourage you though. i've never done it before and i just finished swapping out my a-arms shocks and swingarm and axle on my own. it can be done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ctyfzrider is correct use two hammers and hit on opposite sides of the spindle if you have two nice hammers they will pop out in a couple of trys this is the only way other wise like he said you will tear rubber boots left and right and you will need to do it this way if you want chang setting in the future, this method works on cars too anything with a tappered fit like a ball joint or whatever it will work

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The a-arms are Burgard premium +2 and the axle is LSR.
Thanks for the tips so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts