YFZ Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I just got a 2021 YFZ450. I am told (and have seen) the exhaust pipes get really hot and I also live in a hot climate. This is one mod (my first) that I don’t want to compromise on, so hoping to hear about the best solution out there, even if a bit pricey.

I have read about the P3 Carbon Heat Shield, as well as some Aluminum shields and Wrap options.

Does the exhaust get so hot because of the material Yamaha uses? Have also read about people just replacing the exhaust system altogether, but not sure it it’s for performance and Heat shield both, or just performance.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
The bike is set pretty lean from the factory due to emissions requirements thereby raising exhaust gas temperatures. Couple that with the thin walled exhaust pipe and you get a lot of heat transfer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello

I just got a 2021 YFZ450. I am told (and have seen) the exhaust pipes get really hot and I also live in a hot climate. This is one mod (my first) that I don’t want to compromise on, so hoping to hear about the best solution out there, even if a bit pricey.

I have read about the P3 Carbon Heat Shield, as well as some Aluminum shields and Wrap options.

Does the exhaust get so hot because of the material Yamaha uses? Have also read about people just replacing the exhaust system altogether, but not sure it it’s for performance and Heat shield both, or just performance.

Many thanks!
I don't suggest wrapping the stock or aftermarket header you'll just transfer that heat towards the canister and ruin it. I also wouldn't spend money on different heat shield for the stock exhaust. The best method is wearing boots and being mindful of the exhaust and keeping a comfortable distance. The exhaust is going to be brutally hot despite the materials being used. Most aftermarket companies don't use a heatshield so if that's important to you stick with Yoshimura or HMF. A lot of people replace the exhaust system altogether to gain a lot more performance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts