YFZ Central banner

New 2017 YFZ450R Build

30K views 169 replies 20 participants last post by  SilsbySilverado103 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've been racing for a number of years but always with the older carb model bikes. I finally went out and bought a new 2017 YFZ450R, deciding it was time to upgrade to the EFI.

I want to start building it up for XC racing but was curious what everyone thought of the most essential mods to begin with? I already bought a Fuel Customs intake and next on the list is a full FMF exhaust, Houser Pro Bounce nerf bars and some kind of tuner but not sure what to get. There's a great shop locally here in Miami that I am going to send it to so they can tune it.

From there I'll need to look at what to get for long travel suspension and shorter a-arms/axle and small stuff like handlebars, graphics, skid plates, etc. I had good luck with the ARS-FX a-arms so I might stick with those. Anything else I should look into getting?

#3 ·
Also, anything I can keep from the old carb bike?

#4 ·
Bumper, wheels and tires, tuner, exhaust, grab bar, skid plate, AIS block-off, 38 motorsports breather, hand guards and kill switch are delivered and ready to go on.

Just ordered a full long travel setup from a friend. Fox Floats in front with Houser XC long travel, Fox Podium rear, Precision Elite stabilizer, Houser XC Pro Bounce Nerfs, Lonestar axle and stainless lines and clamps. Can't wait to get this on and running.

#7 ·
I have skids. I’ve never been able to try either the precision clamp or Flexx bars so still trying to figure out the best route there. What advantages does the intake cams have?

I did drop a lot but I’ve been saving awhile too. You don’t do well in races on a stock machine and you get better discounts buying everything together.

#8 ·
The stock yfz cam is bad. The 08 dirtbike cam gives more bottom-mid. The 08 quad cam gives more mid-top. If you're doing xc, get the dirtbike cam. I pretty much keep the bike in 2-3 gear and can smoothly torque it through tight xc tracks and conserve energy instead of revving it for more power like with the stock cam. I'm a fan of precision clamps because you can change the bars to your preference. Flexx bars are a 250$ investment and if you don't like the bend, you're stuck.

#9 ·
Well I finally have everything installed, pics below. Updates that I can remember include FMF 4.1 exhaust, FCI Intake, PC5 tuner (with Performance ATV tuning), AntiGravitiy 8 cell battery, Houser drop grab bar, Houser Pro Bounce Nerfs, Houser +1 stem with Precision clamps, Houser XC LT A-arms, Fox Floats front and Fox Podium Rear, Precision Elite Stabilizer, Lonestar axle, Alba bumper, SSI graphics, Goldspeed Wheels with STI Tech 4 XC Tires, GT Thunder poly brake guard, Teixeira Tech sprocket guard, BCC Skids poly body skid, 38 Motorsports oil breather, TM Designs Case Saver, Streamline brake lines and clamps, Neutron seat cover, PEP EZ-Pull clutch arm, Boyd Designs protective grip stickers, AIS delete, Honda TRX90 throttle

Mods coming: CV4 radiator hoses and Engine Ice, TM Designworks magnetic drain plugs, Intake cam (still deciding whether to do the quad or dirtbike cam), retuning for cam

Not the greatest pictures but I will take some more soon.

Attachments

Reactions: atvman8351
#10 ·
#11 ·
Bumped a tree which tweaked the super light Alba bumper so I decided to upgrade to the RJR bumper. Talk about a difference!

Attachments

Reactions: atvman8351
#12 ·
Upgraded to an IMS tank and added the BCC skids roost guard.

Attachments

#13 ·
Finally figured out how to add some actual quality images instead of the crappy images uploaded to the forum. Hoping to get out to the track this weekend :grin2:

Reactions: kilroy
#15 ·
Finally got out to the track to get some laps in!

#17 ·
Thank you! I ordered them originally through ATV Galaxy but then they told me after a couple days they couldn't get a set. I ended up getting them through Motosport but that was back in February. Are you interested in a set? I'm thinking I might actually switch to just the heal guards. I can take off the nerf bars portion and just cut off the stub from the peg, but would rather trade with someone so they get some actual use.

#18 ·
Well, rolled the quad on track this weekend when my front brakes locked up so looks like new parts are in order. ASV levers, ODI grips and handlebars and some new bolts for the Precision clamps. Also decided it was time to add on a Rekluse so that is on the way thanks to Ken at KB!

#19 ·
Got the bars, grips and levers on, love these things!!

Rekluse is just sitting at the moment waiting to be installed. I have a dyno tune on Tuesday and don't have time to break it in so will install after the tune.

#22 ·
Yes, ODI bars and lock-on grips. I did the CR high bend and, with the +1 stem, think it works out perfect for what I want.

#23 ·
Picked up this little guy and now ready to really test the dirtbike intake cam. Any suggestions on where to start with mapping?

#24 ·
Finally had a chance to play with the Vortex and wow does it ever pull! Also got a chance to install the auto Rekluse clutch. Looking forward to breaking it in and trying it out.

Got some DirtFiend Racing frame guards/grippers since the Boyd design ones wore out in a few rides too.

Installed the GT Thunder idle control as well since most people say it's necessary with the Rekluse.

#26 ·
I got the RadiusCX. Exactly why I am DYING to try it out. I have a feeling it's going to help me a ton in tight wood sections. For the Vortex, it came with Duncan maps so I am running their map on #5 and its working amazing so far.

#27 ·
Tried out the Rekluse on Saturday and I am in love. You can fly into a corner and smash the brakes and never have to worry about stalling out. It needed a little adjustment as I couldn't fully override it with the lever pulled but took care of that already. Looking forward to really trying this out in the woods soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.