YFZ Central banner

101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Finally got some time to cut and install the radiator louvers. These should help keep all the mud and grass out and keep temps down.

How I modified it vs how they come

Mounted on the guard

Back on the quad. This thing is a PITA to get back in place.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
They were part # 5PH-2172A-11 Yamaha OEM part. I think off of a YZ250. I ordered from Rocky Mountain for like $10 a piece. Little bit better than the Wienen price lol

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Well that's one way to end the race season. Tagged a tree at 40 during practice this last weekend. Stripped down and ready for a new frame now.

Also managed to then later in practice take a stick into the leg and was only saved by shinguards.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Damn!
That bumper must be really stout.
I wonder if the frame would have taken less damage if ther was a bumper of less quality to take the impact and act as a “crumple zone”

That would have been one hell of a splinter.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I've often wondered if it's better to have a stronger or softer bumper. I managed to beat the bumper back into shape but am going to sell it (obviously disclaiming the issue) and look into getting one of the Radical X bumpers. They seem to be the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
The rebuild is coming along, although very slowly. Found a frame for $200 that the guy said was brand new. Looked great until I got home and found one of the subframe bolt holes stripped. For $200 I'm not going to complain, especially as that was the only good piece left from my old frame too. Between the two I now have a full frame again.

Shocks are getting to Derisi today to be serviced and the rear adjusted for the long travel LSR link I bought. Gave up on Houser after waiting 6 months for them to produce one.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
These big companies are loosing to the smaller guys that’s why all these little guys making parts are selling because the big companies don’t want to keep stock for some reason. It wasn’t like this 15 years ago. The yfz450r is still in production if a company is going to sell parts for it have a minimum amount ready to go. I ordered some parts from lonestar it’s supposedly a 4-6 week wait

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Getting close to finishing the rebuild, mostly just awaiting the shocks. Finally got the new exhaust. Not bad, brand new and like 20% off. I'm in love with this thing.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I finally got the quad back together and made some minor updates.

Added a 24V kit from Big Daddy Racing, this thing is high quality.

Got the shocks revalved and serviced by Derisi, also added the LS4 covers. Shocks work amazing! Not too pleased with the covers as I had to move the mounting holes a bit to get them to line up. Only reason I bought them was to stop the rubbing of the stock ones but it looks like these ones will rub too. Going to reach out to LS4 to see what they can do.

Got all of my Peak Racing products in place!

Also added the Fasst rear brake spring which makes a surprising difference. Love the feel. Also added some strong wire looming over the rear shock reservoir line to help protect it.

Man it felt good to get back out and ride!!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
My RadicalX bumper is being built at the moment, just awaiting delivery.

For the idle adjuster I love it! I just wish I knew from the beginning it had a “choke” feature.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
My RadicalX bumper is being built at the moment, just awaiting delivery.

For the idle adjuster I love it! I just wish I knew from the beginning it had a “choke” feature.
Dont use it as a choke. It'll trick the vortex into running different to compensate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Dont use it as a choke. It'll trick the vortex into running different to compensate

But you have to have the quad idle high when it first starts or it will quit. How else are you going to do it?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Go another click or 2 out on it

Hmm, wouldn't that do the same as pulling out on the adjuster (AKA the "choke" feature)? I only ask because I need my idle really low with the Rekluse so it doesn't try to take off when it's in gear.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Hmm, wouldn't that do the same as pulling out on the adjuster (AKA the "choke" feature)? I only ask because I need my idle really low with the Rekluse so it doesn't try to take off when it's in gear.
No because its set and doesnt change.
Like when you start the bike and let it warm up with out blipping the throttle. Itll play with the vortex.

101 - 120 of 151 Posts