YFZ Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any special way to remove the swing arm bolt? I cant seem to get it. thanks

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
on the right side is the nut you took off, so put it back on till it comes all the way to the locking part (tighten it as much as you can with your hands), then bash the nut firmly with a hammer and a ram ( i used a large socket) until it comes loose, (make sure to put the nut on so that you dont damage the threads by bashing the threads themselves) then use a big screwdriver or something to push it through the rest of the way

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thats what i originally did but it only came out like half an inch. Then i beat on it till my thumbnail turnd black (ouch). Maybe i just need a bigger hammer?

·
Registered
246 Posts
air hammer is easiest and does least damage

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
once it is loosened did you take the nut off? lol, this seems obvious. i hope you did. now that it is out a little can you get a breaker bar and socket on the other (left) side and twist back and forth while a friend beats it through?

if none of that works.. its sawsall time, lol

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
sometimes the bolts bend and wedge in there, they can be tough to get out.

once you do, usually the bolt will be destroyed..... we carry a solid stainless steel bolt that wont rust, bend or break

so when your ready to replace it... let me know.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
hey, how much does said bolt cost? that sounds like a worthy investment?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
thanks, a little too expensive for me now ( i just bought my YFZ and borrowed $300 from savings that i still owe back b4 i buy anything else) but i will probably buy it later =)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Did you get bolt out yet? Borrow, rent an air hammer if you dont have one. Make sure you use a round tip, something like a centerpunch but dull, or flat. Dont use chisel tip or anything aggresive. Should push it right out. Mine always comes out with a few light taps from hammer but my buddies 450r swinger bolt was really stuck. We used the big hammer and all that, as soon as we put the air hammer on it came right out.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
a big hammer is always the answer for a honda. :loser:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I assume you have removed the weight from the swingarm...? Disconnect the shock linkage, wheels off etc??

Stick an impact on the bolt side an run it backwards, get your buddy to tap it gently from the other side, use a smaller bolt to drift it out.... If it takes all that to get it out, you probably need a new bolt anyway...

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
how are you going to get any wrench on the bolt side if its not coming out...

·
Registered
76 Posts
QUOTE (Joester @ Feb 22 2009, 09:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749630
once it is loosened did you take the nut off? lol, this seems obvious. i hope you did. now that it is out a little can you get a breaker bar and socket on the other (left) side and twist back and forth while a friend beats it through?

if none of that works.. its sawsall time, lol[/b]

Now that I read your post better....... Same thing..

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
oooh, ok, i forgot that he got it out a little :icon_biggrin: , yeah, your impact wrench thing would work, sorry for confusion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts