YFZ Central banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys
this time i dont have a car to take it to the dealership for normal service....., but il try to do it myself with ur help!:lol
so i got some oil and a oil filter and i downloaded the service manual
but i couldnt figure out the torque specs, it says 7.2 lbf 10nm 1.0 m-kgf for oil filter element drain bolt
:what, so this one is for the oil filter cover, while it says for the engine oil drain bolts 1.4 lbf??????O__O and 20 nm 2.0 m-kgf(how come the lbf is less than the upper one? while the nm and m-kgf is more?), i tryed 2.0 m-kgf on my tourque wrench and it showed 14 lbs exactly. im soooo confused -.-
and i dont even know how much to tighten the lower drain bolt
so please i need the steps exactly and how many lbs's should i tighten each bolt with, and how much oil should i put in
i do have a torque wrench that starts from 5 lbs to 80 lbs:blah
so i need help asap:bawl
ya and its a 2009 yfz450R
Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
you will need to get a inch torque wrench ... for every 12 inch pounds that equals 1 foot pound ... so 84 inch pounds is 7 foot lbs then just go 2 more clicks to get your .2 .... that will solve your foot lbs issue ... to be honest i never used a torque wrench to do my oil changes i just tighten it up .... as far as how much oil to use i cant remember off the top of my head and im not home to check but im sure someone will chime in ... its almost 2 qrts with the oil filter change i remember that ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you will need to get a inch torque wrench ... for every 12 inch pounds that equals 1 foot pound ... so 84 inch pounds is 7 foot lbs then just go 2 more clicks to get your .2 .... that will solve your foot lbs issue ... to be honest i never used a torque wrench to do my oil changes i just tighten it up .... as far as how much oil to use i cant remember off the top of my head and im not home to check but im sure someone will chime in ... its almost 2 qrts with the oil filter change i remember that ...
so its okay to just tight it until it locks, not toooo hard and not loose ?

·
Registered
397 Posts
It kind of depends on how mechanically inclined you are. If you do a lot of work on bikes, quads, cars, whatever, then I would say snug them down and just torque them by feel. But if not, then use a torque wrench. These bolts aren't that big and are easy to break. But use your common sense. If you think they are down good and tight, don't give them the old "safety" tighten and crank them down too much. You know? A torque wrench is not 100% necessary. I've never used one for anything besides engine building.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
so its okay to just tight it until it locks, not toooo hard and not loose ?
Never bothered with torque wrench on mine either, and I do have one. Make them tight, just don't go heman on it, I did snap my oil tank drain bolt once, cleaning out the metal shavings, and getting the bolt out, wasn't fun.
It's 1.55 quarts in the oil tank, and 0.3 in the crankcase, with the filter change.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well ive installed a airintake on a landcruiser and exhaust system and a kn to a porsche 911
the thing is when i went to the shop to buy some oil he told me to be carefull and if that bolt broke it is a big problem, thats why im scared..........
well il try my torque wrench and if it felt tighting too much il just stop
somehow i managed the torque specs
but theres one problem...... i only have one place to insert oil on the 09 its on the left side and its not a seperate tank, its just one place to insert oil.
thanks alot....

·
Registered
275 Posts
There is only one spot to insert oil, that's the filler/dipstick you're talking about. The YFZRs don't have a separate oil tank from the crank case.

Drain the crank first and the "tank" bolt second and the filter third. Makes for less mess. Just don't overtighten the bolts, like everyone else said, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
U MADE IT SIMPLE!!!!!!!!
thanx :clap
alrighty, so if i tight it until it locks, but i dont stand on the wrench :eek
it wont leak?

u see the thing is here at dubai, at the garages indian mechanics working there never let u see what they do to learn, and when u tell them i wana do it on my own there faces become like:disgust, and they start to scare u telling u if the bolt brakes off u must say byebye to ur engine
THIS SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME!!!!!!!
i broke a bolt before it was located on the fuel tank thing so i told the guy at the dealership it was a stupid mechanic who broke it :lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
just kinda make a mental note on how tight they were when you took them off and tighten them the same when you put them on not hard at all hope it goes well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys i did it today and it went fine and i marked the postion it was tightend and i re tightned it again
and used my torque wrench for those 2 oil drain bolts
anyway thanks alot for ur help guys :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
i am from south africa so measure in litres. i service my quad every 10 hours of racing. if you are relacing your oil filter its 1.9 litres if you are not replacing your oil filter its 1.7 litres. torque wrenches just become a pain in the but and are used by people who do not ride a yamaha. tighten the bolts up til you need to use a little more force. from there give it another another quarter turn. even if you are slightly too loose or too tight wont make any difference unless you balance and blue print your motor.

yfz 450
elka long travel front suspesion
houser a arms
pep steering damper
extended anti vibe steering colum
22l long range tank
cam mod

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys
this time i dont have a car to take it to the dealership for normal service....., but il try to do it myself with ur help!:lol
so i got some oil and a oil filter and i downloaded the service manual
but i couldnt figure out the torque specs, it says 7.2 lbf 10nm 1.0 m-kgf for oil filter element drain bolt
:what, so this one is for the oil filter cover, while it says for the engine oil drain bolts 1.4 lbf??????O__O and 20 nm 2.0 m-kgf(how come the lbf is less than the upper one? while the nm and m-kgf is more?), i tryed 2.0 m-kgf on my tourque wrench and it showed 14 lbs exactly. im soooo confused -.-
and i dont even know how much to tighten the lower drain bolt
so please i need the steps exactly and how many lbs's should i tighten each bolt with, and how much oil should i put in
i do have a torque wrench that starts from 5 lbs to 80 lbs:blah
so i need help asap:bawl
ya and its a 2009 yfz450R
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Do not do 14lbs. Do like 12 for the oil drain bolts and like 6.5 for the oil filter cover. Thats just me.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts