YFZ Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need instructions on how to properly break in my 2004 YFZ450 with a fresh top end

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Warm up real good and ride the piss out of it but dont hit rev limiter. Easy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Technically the break-in is recommended as 10 hrs no more than 1/2 throttle, oil and filter change, check for leaks and metal, check coolant levels, brake levels, etc. then 10 hours no more than 3/4 throttle, oil & filter change, etc. After that, and everything checks out...run it as you wish just be safe ;-)

Now I have seen some people, like yfzgambler suggests, that just run it right out of the box, teardown and wear looks no different then when someone follows the recommendations and properly breaks it in as I highlight above. I have also seen the opposite of that, ran right out of the box, and the internals are just a mess.

However, I have never personally seen a teardown after following the recommended break-in process that didn’t look pretty much flawless. Not saying it can’t happen, bad tolerances and just bad components or assembly from factory can technically happen (rare), just that I’ve never seen it.

Yes break-in period sucks, but for me, and the almost 10K investment that is a new 450R (doesn’t include the $$$$ spent upgrading)... it’s worth the precaution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
I believe in “heat cycling” as metal on metal is not a good thing, granted oil is lube, but the “lube” DOES NOT WORK until there is a “open” enough “tolerance” for the oil to fill and lubricate.

Yes in most cases a problem will happen right away.
But if the components are allowed to “mesh together” it is more likely to last.

Most oil changes in the beginning will contain metal, “chunks” indicate future problems....shaving and glitter not so much.

But ALL engines have wear components and should be counted in hours not amount of seasons or rides out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I believe in “heat cycling” as metal on metal is not a good thing, granted oil is lube, but the “lube” DOES NOT WORK until there is a “open” enough “tolerance” for the oil to fill and lubricate.

Yes in most cases a problem will happen right away.
But if the components are allowed to “mesh together” it is more likely to last.

Most oil changes in the beginning will contain metal, “chunks” indicate future problems....shaving and glitter not so much.

But ALL engines have wear components and should be counted in hours not amount of seasons or rides out.

Agree 100%. I’m an Engr at a major engine manufacturer so we follow both a break-in process and teardown procedure in test as well as tests where we build and then immediately run the shit out of it under load variations, extreme temps, etc. knowing some people will do just that. Metal “dust” is fine and expected, chunks...not so much, usually ends in something catastrophic lol we have test cells to prove it :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts